Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Edge Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge Evolution

Hey guys I finally bought a power programmer, I went against what most of you said about the edge programmer and I bought one, I have had it about a week or so and this thing is unreal, I am so hapy with it, not a bit of problems and plenty of power for the price... very very happy not trying to cause problems just letting those know that are intrested in the edge products that they arent that bad... Thanks for all your help guys...
Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

congrats . the problem with it seems to be on level 3. have you tried 3 yet? otherwise continue to enjoy. hopefully no probs down the road.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:42 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I personally do not like ANY canned tunes. The Edge is worse than most. When you are replacing the tranny because Edge dosent control it right let us know how great it is. Glad your happy with it though.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:22 PM

I have had it for 2 years now. Just updated it to include Mileage. Everything works great. It also solved that pesky idle problem i had.

Not sure what they mean by "canned tunes" but i never use the tunes from them because i have to adjust the speedometer so it makes you go in the custom programming.

so far so good.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:37 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Canned tunes is what comes in the programmer. They send out the same tune for EVERY truck. It is not customized to your truck.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by har1200cus
I went against what most of you said about the edge programmer and I bought one
There's a reason why alot of guys wouldn't recommend the Edge. I've never used one myself so can't really speak for the differences it makes in your truck. The reason I wouldn't ever have one on my truck is because of all the reported transmission issues with it. Not sure though why anyone would go with a "canned" tuner these days when for the same price as the Edge you could have had an Xcal II with custom tuning from either Troyer (which would be my recommendation) or VMP.

Bottom line though is you have to be happy with your purchase and feel you made the best use of your available funds. Doesn't matter what any of us think because it's your truck.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Canned tunes...

So where can I get a tuner where I can put custom tunes on it?\
Any reccomendations on a brand?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Master of disaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how are the hypertech tuners. my wife just purchased one for my truck but she didn't know what to get so the sales person recomended that she buy the hypertech 3.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Originally Posted by NexTGeN
So where can I get a tuner where I can put custom tunes on it?\
Any reccomendations on a brand?
There are 2 tuners highly regarded for tuning the F150's. IMO Mike Troyer at Troyer performance is the one to go with. He specializes in tuning our trucks and has been doing it for over 15 years. The one negative with Mike is the amount of time it takes him to complete your tune, we're talking about 2 months. If you've owned your truck for awhile and have never had it tuned you don't know what you're missing anyways so I think waiting another 2 months is no big deal.

The other tuner that some people go with is Justin at VMP. He specializes in tuning Mustangs, but also does F150's. I have never used his tunes so I can't say if they any better or worse than Mike's, but do you want someone who specializes in Mustangs tuning your F150 or do you want someone who specializes in F150's doing it? Justin will get you yur tunes alot quicker though, somewhere in the order of 2 weeks is what I am told.

My truck is Toyer tuned and I am very happy with the results.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Originally Posted by extremef150
how are the hypertech tuners. my wife just purchased one for my truck but she didn't know what to get so the sales person recomended that she buy the hypertech 3.
Can you take it back? I haven't heard a whole lot about the hypertechs personally, but if you haven't used it and can take it back I would and get one of the tuners I talked about in my previous post.

The Xcal II is a great tuner. The Xcal III's just hit the market, but I'm hearing they're having alot of issues right now. The Livewire is also out there and gives you 3 canned tunes, 3 custom tunes and guages that lots of guys like to use. I have the Xcal II and am very happy with it.

Quick Reply: Edge Evolution