Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Does this make sense? Long injector pulse width....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Does this make sense? Long injector pulse width....

So my truck has not run in over a year. I continue to make payments of about $550 MONTH. The truck build is in another section. It is a 5.4 2006 f150 Roush stage III. Anyway, Tasca Ford told me he has been through the wiring and it is all fine but the truck won't run. He measured the pulse width of the injectors. He said it was too long. He did not tell me what it was and does not respond to emails that well. ANyway he told me he does not have time to work on it. He thinks the cam and crank are out of synch. Alternatively, he said it might be flooded and need the plugs and oil changed he said it defiantely was running rich when it ran and the pluggs are wet and oil ruined. It did run for me but hen stopped and never started for me agian. Before Tasca it was at another shop and he said it ran but poorly. Tasca ford did a pin test and the electrical connections are all fine. He thinks mechanical or flooded. Any ideas? IS he crazy? He is part of the Tasca Race team...
Old 06-30-2017, 10:42 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Time to drop oil pan

Look for plastic pieces of guides . If there you need timing job .Pull valve covers look at condition of cams rollers . You may have to bore scope it to see if pistons okay .
If guides broken pull timing cover . With chains on try to set crank gear dot at 6 o'clock with no 1 and 5 cams facing per ford instructions . This is the best way to start timing job .
Usually your plastic tensioners have a blown seal . If you are going to do timing job use old style metal ratcheting tensioners that don't have seals to blow out .
You must have a lot of miles on an 06 so this timing job not that unusual.
You can do this yourself if you have the will and help on here .
No history here spark plug changed etc . No codes !
Gather info and come back .

Old 06-30-2017, 11:38 PM

The engine is brand new rebuilt. As |i said I havce a rebuild thread here somewhere. Anyway the tensioners are ford metal with no seals. Every piece of the valve train is new.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:41 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default I should have researched this post first

I wasn't aware of this being rebuilt and super charged until after I posted .
I only went with his mechanics diagnosis of cam and crank out of sync .
The other guess is flooded trouble with injectors , injectors easy to replace , but not cheap .
Rebuild doesn't mean injectors changed . Known injector problems around this year . Injectors can hydro lock and damage cats .
Does this Roush out of michigan have its own warranty?
I don't know how this performed when you got it or if its been racing . I wouldn't know anything about Tasca Ford and why they won't or can't fix it .
If this thing was run hard any mechanical failure is still possible . There are some clues missing here . This not running a standard tune ,who rebuilt it ?
If there's fuel in the oil , then you still have to clean it all out , and the prudent thing to do is change all the injectors and inspect internals of engine .
You can simply lay the injectors in the fuel rail on dry newspaper and turn the key on and no drips should take place .
I replaced all my injectors at 100k with brand new --not rebuilt .
Old 07-01-2017, 04:55 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default found some history on this truck

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/2006-roush-build-315755/
So many changes before running engine . Beautiful engine . No telling what point screwed up the running of it . Changing the pcm out and not getting the proper tie in to the pats system is a common problem .
It got all the cops changed out but the price certainly indicates non oem which I had nothing but trouble from. The spark plug circuit is very fussy on this engine. I guess you need a simple spark tester at this point .
No good spark means, no burn fuel .
looks like you had trouble with throttle body , mine failed intermittently known bad series started with a 3 instead of a revised 8 . Bought a new one on ebay years ago $200 . There are electronics on the board by the motor and it decodes the pluses from the pcm to move motor .
Pcm grounds must be cleaned all the way back to battery negative , web grounds are best . There are some weird problems with computers , they get confused if not high frequency grounded . Fine wired webs are best for this surface area and all that .
Old 07-01-2017, 08:45 PM

The engine started and ran fine the first time I tried it. I only drove it in and out of the shop! I left it returned the following weekend and she would not start. Ford checked all the wiring with a pin test. They said they do not have the time to fix i but insisted that the injector pulse width was too long. The injectors are Ford Motorsport 47 pounders brand new. Everything in the engine is brand new.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:27 AM

The COP are infact the cheap ones. I was told by a friend who is a mechanic that he has had good luck with them. I can certainly upgrade. That said it does not explain why the injector pulse is so long. That worries me..........
He did said it sounds like it wants to start...........
Old 07-02-2017, 05:24 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default This can be a real head scratcher

It is hard to follow all the changes you made to this engine without a chart .I am lost on super chargers . But the throttle body still determines air fuel mix and must work well .
The fact that it started and ran good one week and not the next is really puzzling ,you did mention a bad fuel filter .Any possibility that it pumped crud into your new injectors If ford says injector problem put the old ones back . But as far as I can see the pcm determines injector pulse width . Factory cops usually don't go bad they get corroded connections ,I would never throw them away .
Lots of complaints about new plugs bad right out of the box , I have run champions for years no problem , I have the new sp515 setting here but now I'm afraid of production problems so I will stick with 7989 champs .
So they are saying plugs are fouled getting oil and too much fuel . Is that an oil bath filter on your intake ,I would get that out of there clean up maf and plugs . If you rebuilt the throttle body get the new one .
I can understand it running rough but not starting at all ?? Something contaminating fuel/spark badly . Is this old gas in the tank ,maybe some old additives in it ?? Not running for a year !! Gas not good that long use it for wood burn piles only .
Old 07-02-2017, 05:29 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default This can be a real head scratcher

It is hard to follow all the changes you made to this engine without a chart .I am lost on super chargers . But the throttle body still determines air fuel mix and must work well .
The fact that it started and ran good one week and not the next is really puzzling ,you did mention a bad fuel filter .Any possibility that it pumped crud into your new injectors If ford says injector problem put the old ones back . But as far as I can see the pcm determines injector pulse width . Factory cops usually don't go bad they get corroded connections ,I would never throw them away .
Lots of complaints about new plugs bad right out of the box , I have run champions for years no problem , I have the new sp515 setting here but now I'm afraid of production problems so I will stick with 7989 champs .
So they are saying plugs are fouled getting oil and too much fuel . Is that an oil bath filter on your intake ,I would get that out of there clean up maf and plugs . If you rebuilt the throttle body get the new one .
I can understand it running rough but not starting at all ?? Something contaminating fuel/spark badly . Is this old gas in the tank ,maybe some old additives in it ?? Not running for a year !! Gas not good that long use it for wood burn piles only .
Old 07-02-2017, 08:41 PM

The fuel filter seemed clogged. I was just changing everything in the fuel system. I did a filter FPMU and FPR and added a nice new Walbro high performance pump. The TB was fine I just painted it. When I put it together I put the spring in wrong. It still ran. I just could't rev it until I changed the spring. Old injectors are gone. I believe they killed my motor by sticking open. The injectors themselves are fine it's there pulse-width that is too long. It does mean that the crank sensor is working and they are firing just too long. I just can't get my head around why the computer is telling them to fire for so long unless the timing is off. It could of jumped a tooth. The only way to tell is to pull the covers.....All three VC and timing chain cover.