Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Depressing...Recent Comments on the 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Carpe Diem

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Depressing...Recent Comments on the 5.4

In the recent thread about the cam phasers https://www.f150forum.com/f4/any-the...-go-bad-36434/

there are many comments that badmouth the 5.4. The sad part is, a good portion of it is true It sucks when you put so much time and money into a vehicle and a chebby motor is better than it quality and efficiency wise. That just started my day off bad i'll tell you that much
Old 06-17-2010, 06:41 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

It is only a couple model years... the 5.4 is a great motor. Especially after late 06, and 07. You have to kind of expect a few things to not work quite right when you re-design a motor.

If you think owning a 5.4L is painful, you should have been one of the Mazdaspeed owners when they first started working with the 2.3L DISI motor. Man that was rough. Lots of issues and they were prone to giving you oil inspection port holes on the number 3 or 4 cylinder.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

That is one of the good or bad side effects of a forum such as this site. Folks that buy these models do so for many personal reasons. When a problem or flaw becomes apparent, sites like this identify them, post reasonable solutions to them so that others can fix them. In my opionion, it does not make the vehicle any better or any worse. It does however help an owner identify a condition and correct it and save money.

With the number of 2004 to 2008 Ford F150s equipped on the road to date, and the good resale value that these trucks get, I'd say with a great level of confidence that folks have nothing to worry about with their 5.4 Ford F150. It will be around and in service for a long time.

It is your stated opinion that "a chebby motor is better than it quality and efficiency wise".

I've owned other trucks. All had their good and noted potenial flaws. My past experience has me loyal to Ford when it comes to trucks. Great truck. Has never left me disapointed.

I would not think that identifying a problem would be considered bashing. If it's seen that way, then it's the opinion of the reader and not the poster.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 06-17-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashTECH
It is only a couple model years... the 5.4 is a great motor. Especially after late 06, and 07. You have to kind of expect a few things to not work quite right when you re-design a motor.

If you think owning a 5.4L is painful, you should have been one of the Mazdaspeed owners when they first started working with the 2.3L DISI motor. Man that was rough. Lots of issues and they were prone to giving you oil inspection port holes on the number 3 or 4 cylinder.
You have no idea the truth you speak. I am a Mazdaspeed3 owner, moderator on Mazdaspeedforums.org, and am well versed in the pains of the community. I must be a glutton for punishment, though - I'm selling my MS3 to buy an F150.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

THERES ALOT OF EM OUT THERE WITH OVER 200K, thats pretty good in my book.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have 284xxx kms on my 04 f150 and it still runs strong... noisy cam phasers but has lots of power and no problem running
Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by wyattjo
i have 284xxx kms on my 04 f150 and it still runs strong... noisy cam phasers but has lots of power and no problem running
i hope i get that kinda service out of mine. thats awsome!!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chooie
You have no idea the truth you speak. I am a Mazdaspeed3 owner, moderator on Mazdaspeedforums.org, and am well versed in the pains of the community. I must be a glutton for punishment, though - I'm selling my MS3 to buy an F150.
Oh, I know the truth I speak

Owned a 2006 MS6 for a few years. I loved the car to bits, but I didn't want to own it when it went to bits
Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5.4 is great. The 04 and 05s had problems but from then on they are great. I'm sure chebys 5.3 has its problems to.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So much truth in this statement, It should be a sig.

Originally Posted by Chooie
That must be a fun board to moderate...LMAO. That place has got some great info but it is a net brawl on every couple of threads.
I am trading my 6 and my 09 F-150 soon on the 2010 I just ordered.

Oh, I know the truth I speak

Owned a 2006 MS6 for a few years. I loved the car to bits, but I didn't want to own it when it went to bits
I hear ya, there are a couple MS6's that are pushing 50k and one has already had the engine replaced....sadly it had no mods to help the hole develop in the block.

Quick Reply: Depressing...Recent Comments on the 5.4