Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Change cab?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Change cab?

Anyone done this yet and have pointers or an opinion?

I may have a chance to pick up a rust free crewcab to replace mine which had cab corners done 2 years ago and now has very rusty rockers.

I am not sure how much this cab will come with but it is an XLT and I have an FX4. I am not certain about how much wiring and other essentials I may have to change.

At this point it is just a consideration as the cost to get the cab will be cheaper than paying someone to redo the rockers and I will have a good factory setup.

Thoughts?
Old 06-10-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd call around and get a better price on the rockers. They labor involved in changing the cab out weighs the cost of doing the rockers. Esp if your going to gut them both and swap over your interior. Around here new rockers for a F150 is around $300
Old 06-10-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Absolutely. Replacing the rockers will be way cheaper and WAY less involved than swapping cabs.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Camping enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

$300 is a deal of a lifetime. I'm in SE Michigan and around here they charge $1000 a side and even then they don't like to mess with rust.

To the OP. If this truck is not you're daily driver and you have time for a project I'd do the whole cab. If you have rusty rockers you have more rust on the underside. With a rust free cab you can prep the underside to prevent future rust before you bolt it up.

Last edited by TOPGLOCK; 06-10-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by RCFX4x4
I'd call around and get a better price on the rockers. They labor involved in changing the cab out weighs the cost of doing the rockers. Esp if your going to gut them both and swap over your interior. Around here new rockers for a F150 is around $300
I'm in Canada and will be lucky to get good rockers purchased for $300 let alone the cost to change and paint them.

While I can do bodywork, I detest it, I loath it. I would be paying to have it done and will be in for well over $1000 at a cheap shop. I am well aware of costs, my family owns an automotive appraisal company that mainly does collision appraisals as an independent agent. With that in mind I get great deals on body work as they all want to keep the appraiser happy. I am also very aware of the difference in workmanship and know what I would have to pay to have it done right.

Add to this that unless you pay top dollar, you are not going to get factory or better rockers.

So it will not be cheaper for me to pay someone to change rockers then to buy the cab. I would rather move parts around then do bodywork. Finally, changing a cab is not as bad as you think.

Less involved, yes, but I have a good rust free factory set up.

Let's just say I am leaning that way at this point. However I have yet to get a final price from my supplier and I want them to get the truck up on forks so I can inspect the cab very carefully from the bottom.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:38 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
Absolutely. Replacing the rockers will be way cheaper and WAY less involved than swapping cabs.
No doubt it's cheaper but....Replacing rusted body panels is like chasing a ghost. No matter how well the job is done, it will rear its ugly head somewhere else. It's a never ending battle.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Camping enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by screamineagle
No doubt it's cheaper but....Replacing rusted body panels is like chasing a ghost. No matter how well the job is done, it will rear its ugly head somewhere else. It's a never ending battle.
Yes exactly my point. Once you have rust it almost impossible to get rid of.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:19 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPGLOCK
Yes exactly my point. Once you have rust it almost impossible to get rid of.
It's not "almost" impossible. It's downright impossible! There is no long term cure for rust. Temporary yes, but it's all in vain.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

If the cab comes with a complete interior, and all wiring and possibly even front fenders and core support, i'd do it too..
I've seen 09-14's with the rusted out corners, so IMHO there is probably no escaping can corner rust unless you pro actively deal with its primary causes.. Gaps at the back of the cab, sunroof drains, and rear window seals.. Drilling holes in the bottom, diverting/extending drains, and coating the interior cab panels in either wax or rubber spray are probably the only ways to stop it before it starts.. Other than cab corners rusting my truck is mint, this really pisses me off..
Old 06-14-2016, 09:15 AM

I actually already purchased the fenders, that's how I found the truck. After I left I began thinking about this possibility as I need rockers and was thinking about doing it next summer. My cab corners have been done once already, professionally at a reputable shop, and I am seeing signs of rust starting already

This is still a consideration rolling around in my head. I need to get some time to go check it out really well and work out a price. I guess those two factors will really dictate my final decision.

Quick Reply: Change cab?