Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Can bad timing cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 01:56 PM

Received 316 Likes on 228 Posts

Default Can bad timing cause this?

I have another thread somewhat related to this, but it’s a different issue. (05, 5.4 with 122k on the clock). Full timing job with Ford parts was done 22k miles ago.

I took the four plugs on the bottom out today after about 2000 miles. They smell of fuel. The one on the top came out at the previous change and had about 60k on it.

I thought my bank one phaser came apart. I took everything apart today, but no issues inside the VC.

My main question is, should I look at other things? The cylinders are all wet as well, but I can’t imagine the entire engine went bad since the last plug change.

the engine didn’t smoke nor burn oil before.

spending a bunch of money on this truck is just not realistic, since it’s only worth a few thousand, running.

Thanks

Last edited by CKsBAT; 10-27-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks like whoever did the last spark plug changed slobbered too much anti-seize on them on the shank there below the threads, from my experience, only a real thin coat is needed otherwise it run down and foul the plug, that's what appears to have happened in the pics. Just my two cents.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:55 PM

There’s no anti seize on them, I did the plug job about 2k miles ago. It’s all carbon soaked in raw fuel.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:51 PM
Chief Engineer

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

If All the bad plugs came out of your bank one then I may have a solution. You have plenty of fuel to those cylinders and I assume good spark since the plugs are carboned up pretty badly. Lack of air seems to be one possibility. If so, you should check the linkage on your intake runner control to see if it’s fallen off. This would explain why the engine failed to quickly. It’s located on the back of the intake manifold and is hard to see but possible with a flashlight and a mirror, or you can use your cell phone camera. That’s how I checked mine.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:19 PM

Thanks, great idea! I didn't even know there was linkage on it.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:43 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 639 Likes on 575 Posts

How is it getting too much fuel in one bank. The fuel trim mixture circuit has to be way off. I could see one leaking injector but all 4 ?
The 02 /maf determines fuel trim by bank . The fuel is not being burnt , the o2 must be thinking it sees oxygen then adding fuel So if spark not happening at right time could do it or oxy entering thru a bad exhaust . Defective o2 possible but this is extreme fuel with very little burn .
Intake runner control is supposed direct the air better in intake so if linkage broken it could mess up one bank . Definitely would look at that . Linkage failure /plastic is a real common thing .
05's have known bad injectors production problems.
A good mechanic that may have worked on more than one like this could make better sense of this . I'm trying to think what a blocked cat would do, never fought one .
Old 10-29-2021, 10:40 AM

Thanks, I've been fighting the o2 sensor this morning, finally broke it free, now gonna fight the plug, so I can get it out.

Definitely gonna check out the linkage.

I just seem to keep taking things apart and never going back together!
Old 10-29-2021, 11:34 AM

I’m more confused…

I took out the o2, looks like dry carbon. I’d think as wet as the plugs and cylinders are, it would be wet. Maybe since I didn’t run it long?

also checked intake runner linkage, both sides are attached, without running it, I’ll have to wait.

Quick Reply: Can bad timing cause this?