Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

another transmission fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 09:43 PM
1st Ford Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another transmission fluid question

I didn't want to hijack the post about mabe the same thing. Mine is a 2006 with the 5.4L automatic and 4x4 17,000 miles. When I check the fluid level when the truck is totally cold it is half way in the hot zone but after a proper warm up where my Power Hungry shows 150 degrees for the tranny and I go through the gear shifting and so on the stick only shows a very small amount at the bottom of the stick. I added about a 1/4 quart Micron V but the same result except the level is a little further into the hot zone when cold (50 degrees) I'll check it in the morning cold and see where it is. Any ideas? Do I just not have enough fulid in it? Im paranoid of over filling. The owners manual is a little confusing. I states when the truck is cold the tranny fluid should be in the cold zone but mine is in the hot zone and when driven 20 miles and at 150 degrees it is only touching the bottom of the stick.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:09 PM

Received 837 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneFord
I didn't want to hijack the post about mabe the same thing. Mine is a 2006 with the 5.4L automatic and 4x4 17,000 miles. When I check the fluid level when the truck is totally cold it is half way in the hot zone but after a proper warm up where my Power Hungry shows 150 degrees for the tranny and I go through the gear shifting and so on the stick only shows a very small amount at the bottom of the stick. I added about a 1/4 quart Micron V but the same result except the level is a little further into the hot zone when cold (50 degrees) I'll check it in the morning cold and see where it is. Any ideas? Do I just not have enough fulid in it? Im paranoid of over filling. The owners manual is a little confusing. I states when the truck is cold the tranny fluid should be in the cold zone but mine is in the hot zone and when driven 20 miles and at 150 degrees it is only touching the bottom of the stick.
when you are checking it cold you have the engine running?
Old 10-26-2021, 11:39 PM
1st Ford Truck

I just went out there and checked it cold and not running and the fluid level is 3/4 the way into the hot zone.Then with the engine running and cold (60 degrees) there is no fluid on the stick. Also my mistake there is 170,000 miles on it not 17,000. What got me thinking to look at the fluid level was the other day driving down to Tuscon from Show Low, a 4 hour trip, as I was driving up a long hill I thought it was in OD but was not as it was slowing down so it hit the gas and a violent clank occurred. Also it would kind of 'burp' going along at 45mph while in OD. The fluid is a nice color not burnt and the tranny never overheated. The fluid smells good. I've smelled bad fliud so I know what that is like. This is my first automatic vehicle in decades so Im not sure what im doing with it.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:46 PM

Received 837 Likes on 740 Posts

You are supposed to check it with the engine running, because when it's turned off a lot of fluid runs back into the pan and the level looks higher but then when it's running it's being pumped all around the level drops .
and the fluid expands a bit when hot that's why there is a hot and cold mark.

so it sounds like you need to add some.
Add like a half quart it maybe a forth quart and check it again. Turn the engine off while you are adding so the fan doesn't blow fluid all over then start it up again to check it.
Keep adding and checking til it is in the right range.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:03 AM
1st Ford Truck

Thanks for the input. I’ll drive it to work in the morning and check it when I get there.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:59 AM
1st Ford Truck

I finally got enough fluid in my transmission. It took a whole quart. Where does it go? There are no leaks anywhere under my truck. I haven’t checked the level in a very long time but I often look under the truck for leaks.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:28 PM
SSDD

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Check your transfer case. Open up the fill bolt and see
Old 10-29-2021, 02:43 PM
1st Ford Truck

Yes I will! Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: another transmission fluid question