Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Burnouts

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Burnouts

Ok ok, I know to many this seems like a pretty stupid topic as burnouts are really just a waste of money and kind of hard on the truck. While I don't make a habit out of doing these I want my truck to be able to do them.
What is kind of odd is that my truck can break the tires loose easily in reverse but going forward NO WAY. I'm just wondering is this normal and how can I get that power down going forward?
Right now I'm planning on some upgrades, just did a Flowmaster Super 44 Cat back system and I'm planning on getting a SCT tuner with MPT tunes. I'm also planning on doing the GOTTS mod to the air box. Still, I'm wondering how it is that my truck can so easily break the tires loose in reverse but won't even chirp the tires going forward.
02 F150 FX4 Supercab 5.4l 96,xxxx miles. Tires and everything else are stock. (3.55 gears)

Just read some other threads on this, does not look like these trucks are able to do this very easily but the mods I'm doing could solve the problem. Really I just want the truck to have more get up and go.....!

Last edited by katoom; 12-07-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 78 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by katoom
Ok ok, I know to many this seems like a pretty stupid topic as burnouts are really just a waste of money and kind of hard on the truck. While I don't make a habit out of doing these I want my truck to be able to do them.
What is kind of odd is that my truck can break the tires loose easily in reverse but going forward NO WAY. I'm just wondering is this normal and how can I get that power down going forward?
Right now I'm planning on some upgrades, just did a Flowmaster Super 44 Cat back system and I'm planning on getting a SCT tuner with MPT tunes. I'm also planning on doing the GOTTS mod to the air box. Still, I'm wondering how it is that my truck can so easily break the tires loose in reverse but won't even chirp the tires going forward.
02 F150 FX4 Supercab 5.4l 96,xxxx miles. Tires and everything else are stock. (3.55 gears)

Just read some other threads on this, does not look like these trucks are able to do this very easily but the mods I'm doing could solve the problem. Really I just want the truck to have more get up and go.....!
While I Do not recommend doing them mine will now break them loose after my edge evo programmer was installed
Old 12-07-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would say more than likely without supercharging you probably aren't going to get the dukes of hazzard/ starsky and hutch/ diesel hotrod type burnouts that you see. I will give you a hint though that, if you learn how to apply just enough brake to keep the truck from moving, but enough to let the back tires break free you can do a decent burnout with these trucks. I am not liable for any damage you cause!!!
Old 12-07-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by jb2012
I am not liable for any damage you cause!!!
Right I hear you on this. Our trucks transmissions are not all that strong from what I've read I'd leave the burnouts to the mustangs.just my opinion
Old 12-07-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Not that I do it anymore but when I was younger and my buddies had an old ranger and such hahaha... that was a different story! However, I've always found doing them in reverse easier on a rear wheel drive vehicle. I haven't taken physics in a long time however I believe it has much to do with the weight shift (but not only). So for example, in reverse when you step on it the weight shifts the other direction taking weight off of the rear tires (to a point). When you try to perform a burnout going forward your weight shifts onto the rear tires planting them further. Similar to cars... crown vics would sink the rear when they stepped on it (we used to watch the cop's boot it haha - small town), but front wheel drive the front tends to lift up sort of...

Anyways, bottom line is I don't think it's a power issue going forward as much of a weight transfer issue. Does that sort of make sense? My experience I've always found reverse burnouts easier on a rear wheel drive truck. Either way, obviously I don't recommend it LOL... the differential, transmission, drivetrain, etc is only so strong haha
Old 12-07-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 08silverbullet
Right I hear you on this. Our trucks transmissions are not all that strong from what I've read I'd leave the burnouts to the mustangs.just my opinion
That makes no sense seeing how all Ford V8s get the transmission
Old 12-07-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Burnouts in reverse. Wow, i bet that looks cool.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by jamie930
That makes no sense seeing how all Ford V8s get the transmission
As I said it's only what I've read. He said she said I haven't had anything go wrong with mine but I don't abuse my truck either. I'm not saying I don't get on her every now and then but I doubt stay planted in the gas constantly
Old 12-07-2014, 08:07 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

The fact that your truck "hooks up" and doesnt break the tires loose should make you feel good and not embarrassed that you cant waste sets of $800 tires. But hey, its your money, spin them like there is a money tree nearby.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

The 3.55 rear end isn't helping you. If you want to get going quicker consider changing to a higher ratio.

Quick Reply: Burnouts