Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bilstein 5100

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Bilstein 5100

What's up everyone? I've been seeing people talk about 5100s. Are they leveling shocks? People seem to be running oversized tires with them and no level. So what exactly do they do?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

I actually just ordered some. The front shocks have the ability to set to stock height, add 1", or add 2" by adjusting a clip on the shocks themselves. From what I understand, If you have a leveling kit, the actual shock length is the same as stock height when using a spacer so you would set at stock height. But if you wanted to get rid of the spacer or currently do not have one installed, they you could adjust the shock to add the desired "lift" in the front before installation. Keep in mind, anytime you affect ride height like that, you will need an alignment.
The following users liked this post:
Fbcoach (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by brnr17
I actually just ordered some. The front shocks have the ability to set to stock height, add 1", or add 2" by adjusting a clip on the shocks themselves. From what I understand, If you have a leveling kit, the actual shock length is the same as stock height when using a spacer so you would set at stock height. But if you wanted to get rid of the spacer or currently do not have one installed, they you could adjust the shock to add the desired "lift" in the front before installation. Keep in mind, anytime you affect ride height like that, you will need an alignment.

Thanks, man ! I've been looking at Rancho QuickLIFTs. It looks like they all run around $180-200 per strut/shock, and I can't find anyone that is selling them for cheaper. 4wheelonline.com USED to have some, but I can't find them there any more. Ideally, I'd like to get 2.5" of lift to fit some 35's later down the road. I know that the QLs get about 2.25", so I'm torn on what I'd like to do. I really don't want to pull any suspension parts out of the geometrical specs by adding a spacer and placing certain parts under stress. And I know that the 5100s and the QLs won't do that.

I just need to figure out a set up that isn't too costly, but will still serve the purpose of some light offroad/mud driving, and serve it well, and won't completely empty my wallet.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:34 AM

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Well it'll be a few weeks, but when i get around to installing them I can let ya know how they are. I have a 2.5" level on the front now so they will be set to stock height for me, I don't want to loose that extra 1/2" to ditch the spacer and just run the shocks at 2".
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 AM

Well it'll be a few weeks, but when i get around to installing them I can let ya know how they are. I have a 2.5" level on the front now so they will be set to stock height for me, I don't want to loose that extra 1/2" to ditch the spacer and just run the shocks at 2".
Cool! Thanks, man. And I agree. I'm looking for that extra clearance, so I totally understand keeping the spacer.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:31 PM

How do the 5100s ride? Have you run them set at 2" without the spacer? How is it with the spacers?
Old 11-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbcoach

How do the 5100s ride? Have you run them set at 2" without the spacer? How is it with the spacers?
They ride great. Firm and well controlled. I have them on the highest setting. The front is just slightly higher than the rear. I think I'm going to get some air bags to level or the rear.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
They ride great. Firm and well controlled. I have them on the highest setting. The front is just slightly higher than the rear. I think I'm going to get some air bags to level or the rear.
VTX did you get the full 2.5" out of it? Or are you sitting slightly lower?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbcoach
Thanks, man ! I've been looking at Rancho QuickLIFTs. It looks like they all run around $180-200 per strut/shock, and I can't find anyone that is selling them for cheaper. 4wheelonline.com USED to have some, but I can't find them there any more. Ideally, I'd like to get 2.5" of lift to fit some 35's later down the road. I know that the QLs get about 2.25", so I'm torn on what I'd like to do. I really don't want to pull any suspension parts out of the geometrical specs by adding a spacer and placing certain parts under stress. And I know that the 5100s and the QLs won't do that.

I just need to figure out a set up that isn't too costly, but will still serve the purpose of some light offroad/mud driving, and serve it well, and won't completely empty my wallet.
Amazon has the Rancho RS999910 Quick Lift Loaded Struts for $152 each today. A couple weeks back they were down to about $125. Take a look there. They may come down again but even if they don't - the best price I have seen.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
Amazon has the Rancho RS999910 Quick Lift Loaded Struts for $152 each today. A couple weeks back they were down to about $125. Take a look there. They may come down again but even if they don't - the best price I have seen.
I'll check it out! Thanks for the tip. I won't be able to purchase them any time soon, unfortunately. I have a few home improvement projects that I need to pay off first.

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100