Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Basic upgrades for light off roading

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Basic upgrades for light off roading

I think I might get a K&N kit, but I've read a lot of reviews about whistling noise. Plus I want mid-grade shocks and coil-overs... or whatever would be best. Putting on BF all terrians... not increasing SIZE of tire or LIFTING the truck at all with a kit.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:56 PM

* '06 F150 Lariat 4x4 with 5.4 triton.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Your stock setup is a cold air intake. Use that money elsewhere like possibly a tuner.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Your stock setup is a cold air intake. Use that money elsewhere like possibly a tuner.
I'm googling it and can't find anything that says it's already cold air intake?

Anyone have any suggestions on mid-grade shocks and coilovers...

Also thinking about putting a hypertech programmer on it... would it be worth it?

I'm going to check my exhaust in the morning... I know it's not stock because it's got some rumble to it lol...

My MPG is 14-15 depending on how heavy I'm on the gas
Old 05-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by garyinhere
I'm googling it and can't find anything that says it's already cold air intake?

Anyone have any suggestions on mid-grade shocks and coilovers...

Also thinking about putting a hypertech programmer on it... would it be worth it?

I'm going to check my exhaust in the morning... I know it's not stock because it's got some rumble to it lol...

My MPG is 14-15 depending on how heavy I'm on the gas
Cold air is taken in at the fender and brought into the vehicle intake, it is, by default, a cold air intake. It also supplies more than enough air, as a stock system, to feed the engine. CAI's for this generation (and a handful of others) are just a superfluous addition for sound.

I would suggest either an SCT tuner or a PHP Gryphon (or Edge conversion). Once you get into the Classifieds section, there's a lot of used tuners and/or group buys regularly.

Loads of folks like Bilstein 5100s or Fox 2.0s.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:23 AM

The Bilstein 5100's show up as a front and rear lift shock. I found them on Bilsteinlifts.com... I don't know if that's a reputable site or if the shocks would even fit my truck. (no lift)

I bought a oem replacement K&N filter so I don't have to waste time with a kit.. *thanks for the heads up.

Researching tuners tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

The Bilstein 5100's show up as a front and rear lift shock. I found them on Bilsteinlifts.com... I don't know if that's a reputable site or if the shocks would even fit my truck. (no lift)

I bought a oem replacement K&N filter so I don't have to waste time with a kit.. *thanks for the heads up.

Researching tuners tomorrow.
Just watch out with that K&N, you may start getting MAF codes due to getting oil on the MAF Sensor. It's about 50/50 on whether it'll happen or not.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Just watch out with that K&N, you may start getting MAF codes due to getting oil on the MAF Sensor. It's about 50/50 on whether it'll happen or not.
How would it get oil on the sensor? The one I bought is simply remove and replace.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...x?prod=33-2287
Old 05-07-2017, 12:28 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

How would it get oil on the sensor? The one I bought is simply remove and replace.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...x?prod=33-2287
Because they are OILED filters and some of the oil gets through and into the engine.

You also need to RE-OIL those filters every so often.

However on our trucks in stock configuration the MAF is before the filter, if you bought a CAI kit with a K&N it would get on the MAF.

I personally would just run a regular paper filter, I think they clean better and I don't like that oil crap.

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 05-07-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by ReaperHWK
Because they are OILED filters and some of the oil gets through and into the engine.

You also need to RE-OIL those filters every so often.

However on our trucks in stock configuration the MAF is before the filter, if you bought a CAI kit with a K&N it would get on the MAF.

I personally would just run a regular paper filter, I think they clean better and I don't like that oil crap.
No need for the "OILED".... I was just unaware, and I looked it up again and it never mentions it. It just shows an oil accessory cleaning kit and that's the only mention of it. So forgive my ignorance.

Quick Reply: Basic upgrades for light off roading