Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Alternator, Battery, or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Alternator, Battery, or something else?

Had a funny occurrence Sunday after getting back from taking the dogs for a walk and was hoping to confirm my thoughts.
Parked and with the engine running went to put the windows up. There was a draw down on the power to the point where the Edge programmer blanked and my head unit cut out. Stopped putting the windows up and shut down. I then put the windows up one at a time and they went up but not full speed like normal.
The truck sat parked until last night when I checked, voltage at the battery read 12.1 VDC with the engine off and 14.0 VDC with the engine running.
Decided to drive it to work today (about 19 miles). Switched one of the displays on the Edge unit to voltage reading and saw 14.0-14.2 until about half way here then it dropped to 12.0 hovering there plus or minus a couple tenths. Got to work and when I went to put the windows up the voltage dropped to 11.5.
My initial thought was alternator but the battery is far from new. Could a weak battery cause this?
I'm planning on taking it to a local parts house that has recently been bought by Advanced but don't want to trust on their advice alone.
Thanks in advance...
Old 07-21-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

You can always go to advance and have them test the alternator and battery to find out which one is in need of being replaced.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I suspect that the brushes on the voltage regulator in the alternator are almost worn down. I replaced my voltage regulator for about $20. If you are fortunate enough that the issue occurs while it is being tested it should be able to tell you if it is the voltage regulator.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:50 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Battery is far from new... How old is it ? That would be my first guess..
Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Battery is far from new... How old is it ? That would be my first guess..
The battery is a remanufactured unit that I got a year ago so I can't say how old it is but as I tried to drive home yesterday I got about a mile until the voltage dropped to the point where I stalled, so I can't see how it can't be the alternator.

Originally Posted by dnlow
I suspect that the brushes on the voltage regulator in the alternator are almost worn down. I replaced my voltage regulator for about $20. If you are fortunate enough that the issue occurs while it is being tested it should be able to tell you if it is the voltage regulator.
Do you have the part number?
Found your video
Old 07-22-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My alternator went at 73K miles, I was going to replace the voltage regulator but when I took the alternator apart the slip ring had a deep grove on it, it was too deep that the new VG may not making good contact.

I decided to rebuilt the whole alternator.
I found a rebuild kit on Ebay for Ford 6G alternator, unfortunately the kit is made in China. I went ahead and rebuilt mine with the exception of the bearings, because the old bearings still felt good besides I don't trust bearings that are made in China.
The amount of time spent on re-search tooling and rebuild time I could have gone to work and buy two brand new made in China on Ebay.

However, with all that said it was pride and kind of fun to fix things by yourself and saving the old one from being trash.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:28 AM

Alternator replaced with a Car Craft brand from Advance with Lifetime warranty. $150 and about half an hour. 14.0VDC on the display just like it should be.
I wish all repair jobs were as easy as that one.
Thanks for you input!

Quick Reply: Alternator, Battery, or something else?