Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Airbag Light Error Code 42, help?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Proudly Canadian

Received 124 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Airbag Light Error Code 42, help?

Hi guys, the other day i had to go pull out my friends dodge when she got stuck in some mud (No pics... I know, blasphemy right?) and ever since then my airbag light has been coming and I didn't know why. So today I searched (Bucko, aren't you proud?) for airbag lights and found this thread

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/airbag-light-stays-50936/

And according to this article I have Airbag Light Error Code 42, which; 42=LH Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open. Does anyone know what this means/what needs to be fixed? Also, it took quite a bit of jerking on the tow rope to get her out. Thanks
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

When you pulled the Dodge out, it appears you aggrivated the Left hand side crash sensor. I don't know where it's located (other than the left hand side!), but I'd research this and see what is required to repair/reset this code.

Try Google. Type "air bag codes" in the search bar. See if a site pops up that will describe how to correct the fault. Might be as easy as disconnecting/connecting the battery to clear. I don't always suggest the battery procedure though as sometimes you have to follow the process in the owners manual to reset the idle as well.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Proudly Canadian

Ok, I found this write up on another forum (yay google!)

My air bag icon on instrument cluster was flashing 4 times pause then 2 times I found out it was the sensor on the vertical rad support wright up front as soon as you open the hood. I scored a used one from the wreckers with female receptacle as well( old one was corroded badly) I soldered the new female in place and is now all good Oh yeh don't forget to dissconect the neg battery terminal first you never no. so basic plug and play. I read this on an other forum helped me hope it helps someone else.
so I guess I'll see what I can figure out. My mechanical/electrical knowledge is quite limited (aka, nearly non-existent), so this should be kind of interesting

EDIT; I also just found out to refer to DTC B1942 (Diagnostic Trouble Code). Haven't found any write ups on what that means/how to fix it. Other than the quoted one, but it's not very specific.

Last edited by clpeller; 04-23-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Proudly Canadian

So, i found a chart that summarizes all the DTC Error codes. Just thought it might be of some use. It can be found here vv

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...rlMS69M84fr6hw

I think I'm just going to take it in to a dealer... I haven't really found any details on how to fix it.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by clpeller
(Bucko, aren't you proud?)
lol

Glad you figured it out, let me know if you need any part numbers.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I'm so proud!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Proudly Canadian

Thanks GatorB8. I called the dealer today and they said to bring it in because A) it could be a variety of different things so they need to run a diagnostic and B) My airbags won't work until it gets fixed. Furthermore, I don't want to mess around with the airbag system and have it the airbags deploy. I've heard its expensive to get them re-packed. So to the dealership on Monday it is. When I figure out the problem I'll let you know what the situation is.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

If your not under warranty, at least pull the negative battery terminal and check and clean the left impact sensor and it's mount. That's half of the pinpoint test for the 42 fault.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Proudly Canadian

Definitely not under warranty. Ha ha, I sure wish it was though. Where do I find the left impact sensor? A picture would be stellar, but if not an explanation is appreciated too.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the crash sensor UP front. lift the hood and its right there..cant miss it. unlpug the battery...wait about ten minutes and check the plug out. they are know to be corroded and break the prongs off. i pulled mine off and one of the prongs came with it. mine is sitting in the glove box until i make it to the dealer. it wont hurt anything not being plugged in. just unplug it (with battery disconnected) and take that to your dealer...itll save you some $$$$
if you need a pic i can get one for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag Light Error Code 42, help?