Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4 wheel drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive problem

I have an 07 with a 5.4. In 2 wheel drive it drives fine. If i put it in 4 hi. The truck will every few feet lock up. You can hear the tires chirp. Its taken chunks out of the rubber. The front diff will get supper hot.
I rebuilt the transfer case it still does it. then tried swapping in a used one. I swapped the electric motor on the transfer case too. I rebuilt the front diff. still does it. I'm getting no codes on the computer. I really dont know what else to try.
Any suggestion please?
The only other thing i can think of is the vacuum solenoid for the locking hubs?
Thanks
Old 04-25-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When are you using 4hi? Did you make sure that when everything was rebuilt or replaced it was replaced with the same part? I believe fx4 transfer cases differ from the others.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tunnel_Rat
When are you using 4hi? Did you make sure that when everything was rebuilt or replaced it was replaced with the same part? I believe fx4 transfer cases differ from the others.
Yes in 4 hi. It was rebuilt with the same parts. I assumed it was the transfer case. But when it was taken apart to rebuild nothing was wrong inside. But when it still did it, i got a used one it still did it.

I'm at a lose
Old 04-25-2014, 02:29 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Maybe a stupid question...... are you running 4hi on pavement? If your driving straight it shouldn't matter... my main question is: Is your gearing the same in the front diff and the back? Almost sounds like you have a mismatch? i.e. 3.55 and 3.73? I'm just guessing here but it sounds like your gear ratio could be out? or you have something badly binding? If you've rebuilt the front diff though I'd figure you would have caught that?

I can't see why the vacuum hubs or solenoid would cause this but I could be wrong. If it's not the gearing mismatch I would think there's something binding in your front diff.

Last edited by homer; 04-25-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:45 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

-If you get 4x4 Low, You have a good transfer case motor, and the solenoid is working.
(Make sure you are in neutral derps, if no light then beat that damn motor with whatever you can find, LIGHTLY!)
-If you get 4x4 Hi, Then the solenoid is working.

Actuator Test:
Jack the front up with jack stands, Crank The Truck, Put it in 2wd (Vaccum Pulls the actuators away from the CV axle teeth) Heh on the fly!, Spin the tire on each side, if you have a axle move, then you have a bad actuator on that tire. Put it in 4x4, The tires should now lock (release vaccum) and spin with the axle. That will narrow out the actuators. I had 2 bad ones at the same time!

Additional vent line leak test:
-Truck should be off so you can hear
-Unhook the Vents from the actuators on both sides.
-Use a Air Tank and a regulator, Unhook the check valve coming out of passenger side of the block (Should be on the valve cover with a red hose)
-Try to shoot around 40-50psi through the lines from the vent by tire, (Big one is the Main Vaccum, Small is the Vent to above fender height)
If you hear it come out then the vents are not stopped up with grease that exploded from the bad actuator (Just be sure to unplug the check valve)

Weak Vaccum?
-Try spraying LIGHTLY some carb cleaner in the red vaccum hose that goes into the engine
-Repeat until you get a good vaccum
(Truck should be running and will idle up from the spray of course, let it burn that garbage out of there)

Other than that was it doing this when you got it? Curious about the gearing also? Did anyone else rebuild before you?

Transfer case is getting hot because there is hella friction fighting it. You shouldn't be trying to use it on pavement neither mine will do a hellalacious crawl bow down if you try to turn on pavement, and will also do the chirping you describe.... all in all do not use it on pavement. 4WD burnouts at walmart when wet are fun tho...

Last edited by MHOWELL34; 04-25-2014 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:49 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeah that's why I wonder if he's got something binding (asphalt or something mechanical LOL), or non-matching gear ratio's. If he rebuilt the front diff though I figure he would have caught the gear ratio's (although it could be missed).

Great points on the t-case motor
Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by homer
Yeah that's why I wonder if he's got something binding (asphalt or something mechanical LOL), or non-matching gear ratio's. If he rebuilt the front diff though I figure he would have caught the gear ratio's (although it could be missed).

Great points on the t-case motor
Check what i edited above! That took me weeks to figure out because i had 2 faulty IWE's! I hate IWE's when they aren't working! Or when they explode the grease into the vent line and harden to a point where a drill bit wont even get it out! haha

I'ma be a certified mechanic for this truck one day i believe lol
Old 04-25-2014, 02:58 AM

It originally started this winter. I noticed it driving on pavement but in snow and ice. So yes attempting to fix it I'm driving it on pavement, but it is doing it going straight.
I have checked the gear ratios. Even check all 4 tires to make sure something wasn't off there.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
It originally started this winter. I noticed it driving on pavement but in snow and ice. So yes attempting to fix it I'm driving it on pavement, but it is doing it going straight.
I have checked the gear ratios. Even check all 4 tires to make sure something wasn't off there.
That's really odd, any way you can get a small video clip of whats going on? Maybe so we can listen for any odd sounds.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:05 AM

Thanks I will try that. I work in a shop. I pulled the rear dif cover earlier today it gad 3.55's also.
What would bind in the front diff. In 4 wheel that wouldn't in 2? I just pulled it out this week when working on it and resealed it and everything seemed fine inside. Pulling it apart and reassembling it had no effect on my issue.

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive problem