Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2007 rough idle help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 04:04 PM
M.E.C.P. Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 rough idle help

ok so im new to the forum and ive been lurking for while to try and figure out whats wrong. i know others have had rough idle issues before but i havent found anyone with symptoms like mine.

2007 5.4 v8
a little history.

i bought the truck used about a month ago. a deal i couldnt refuse. the truck used to be a border patrol vehicle. i bought it with 73k on it. i knew it had a couple issues but its started to bug the shyt out of me. i replaced the VCT solenoids as i knew one was failing, so i replaced both and everything went smooth. i was hoping to fix the issue. while driving around it will randomly jump into a rough idle, ill throw it into neutral or park and give it a little gas and it stops. after which it might not come back for another while then starts again. i have noticed that after it happens and i try to take off from the stop it feels like its struggling like it inches forward then all of a sudden finds the power and will take off. it only does that if i let it sit rough and not give it gas. for example, i live in a gated community and have to wait 10-15 seconds for the gate to open and if it starts the rough idling i wont do it and try to take off. thats when it will happen. i was able to catch it while pulling into my drive way and took a video. i will post the link below.
now it is throwing a couple codes, nothing uncommon ive seen for these trucks. im pretty mechanically inclined so fixing it wont be an issue with me, i just need to find the problem and address it.

here is the video
dont mind the dirt, my wife was watering the grass and tried to refill my washer fluid reservoir yesterday and pressed the trigger on the handle on the gun and it knocked some mud loose. its recent and i dont think has anythign to do with my issue becuause its been happening since i bought the truck and the engine bay was clean.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:13 PM
M.E.C.P. Tech

sorry guys forgot to mention the codes ive been getting off and on randomly.

P0012
P0022

i do have an obdII scanner and can get a video of live data if it helps.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:51 PM
M.E.C.P. Tech

just pulled these codes while driving to pick my son up from school

Old 09-23-2016, 06:52 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

You have timing issues buddy
Old 09-23-2016, 09:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
You have timing issues buddy
I agree with ^. That motor sounds very rough for only 73k miles, granted they were probably pretty hard at that. I would look at the cam phasers and spark plugs to start. Good luck mang!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:03 PM
M.E.C.P. Tech

ok so i just got back from a weekend at the beach it started to backfire cruising at 30-35. could the CAI be causing it to run too rich? im going to swap it back to stock and remove the valve covers again. what am i looking for on the camphasers?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:30 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

You need a complete timing overhaul, cam-phasers, guides, oil pump, everything.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/
Old 02-09-2017, 05:26 PM
M.E.C.P. Tech

ok so i i swapped out everything but the oil pump and my problem resurfaced. i ran my issues by someone who is far more knowledgeable on engines than i am and i want to ask you guys to confirm my suspicions.

ok so this new problem has happened a couple times since the timing chain swap, when i come to a stop light or stop sign ill get a chime and a check gauges alert. the two times this has happened my oil pressure gauge drops to nothing. i then put it in neutral and back into drive and the pressure gauge goes back up to normal. he suggested my oil pump may be dying on me.when he said that it got me thinking, could little to no pressure cause my tensioners to not apply enough pressure to prevent slack in the chain causing it to skip a few sprockets.?? should my next step be to swap out the oil pump or is there something else i should consider? what else could be causing this so i can swap it out while im in the engine bay. thanks guys
Old 02-09-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Doubt the oil pump is dying. You probably have something blocking the pickup tube in the oil pan, or the engine oil ports are clogged pretty bad. My guess is the latter. Yes low oil pressure can cause you to jump time. How varnished or gummed up was the inside of the engine? Was the old chain guides broke. What all exactly did you replace (tensioner, guides, ect?) What brand of parts did you put in there?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:29 PM
M.E.C.P. Tech

Originally Posted by StephenG
Doubt the oil pump is dying. You probably have something blocking the pickup tube in the oil pan, or the engine oil ports are clogged pretty bad. My guess is the latter. Yes low oil pressure can cause you to jump time. How varnished or gummed up was the inside of the engine? Was the old chain guides broke. What all exactly did you replace (tensioner, guides, ect?) What brand of parts did you put in there?

it wasnt too bad. it didnt look as bad as i was expecting. i replaced everything minus the oil pump.
chains, guides, etc. i used motorcraft parts. i have a buddy who works at the dealership i bought it from and was able to use his discount.

how would i go about fixing what you suggested may be causing the issue. i have no problem opening it backup. i just want to fix the issue. it is getting dangerous. there are times that i try to take off from a complete stop and the truck inches forward. sometimes it feels like it wont ever get me across the street and then times it feels like the engine wakes up and the truck will take off.

Quick Reply: 2007 rough idle help