Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

07 Rust Problems - Repair or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Rust Problems - Repair or Replace?

Hello,
I'm new here, but I have been reading some of the topics off and on for a few weeks. This seems like a great place to discuss trucks and I have quite the dilemma on my hands. I'll try to sum it up as best I can.
Two years ago, I bought an 07 Lariat (crew cab) from a dealer here in Wisconsin. I'm told the previous owner made the biggest mistake he could by parking it in an underground garage. Apparently, that is hard on vehicles in this climate (I'm not originally from Wisc, so this is all new to me). He took excellent care of the truck otherwise!
When I bought it, there was slight rust on the cab corners, under the front doors and behind the rear bumper, along with what I thought was mostly surface rust on the frame under the bed. I was going to get some of this fixed and never did. Fast forward to now, all of it has gotten worse and it needs to be fixed before the truck turns into swiss cheese. I've gotten two quotes so far (not many people are willing to touch it) and it is a substantial amount of $$$$.
Here's my dilemma: the mechanics at the dealer screwed up their initial check list on the truck when I bought it and long story short, the engine had to replaced on their dime. So, here I am with an 07 that has less miles on the engine than a used 2014, and a rust repair that will cost me big $.
I suppose at this point, it all comes down to how much I like the truck... but, what's your opinion? Sell it or fix it? Anyone else ever run into a problem like this?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am going through the same thing with my 07 Supercrew. I've had it a bit over 3 years,the truck was bought new in the Cleveland ,Ohio area. I have rust in both lower cab corners,over both wheel lips on the bed,the tailgate,and one small spot on the L/side front fender. Took it last week to get an estimate,I'm looking at $4300.00 repair bill. I'm not sure I want to put that much money into a 10 year old truck,but at the same time I don't want to drive a rust bucket. Mechanically my truck is in excellent shape,at this time with around 113,000 miles showing on the odometer. I,m like you,I like my truck a lot but is it worth putting that much into getting the rust issues repaired. So far I've found one body shop in my area that will take on the the job,most shops anymore will only work on wrecks and insurance claims.

Last edited by sammyg; 08-01-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna cough up the Two Grand to have the cab corners replaced, but I'll just kinda patch/clean up the box for a little while. When it gets too bad to stand, I'll just take a trip somewhere out of the rust belt and get a different box swapped on.

For what I was quoted to re-skin the sides of the box and paint it, I could take a week off of work, drive to the desert (from Minneapolis), buy a wrecking yard box, have it swapped out down there, and drive home.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Painting is the real issue. Metalworking (cut/weld in a new panel) is not expensive.. getting it to look pretty is.

You might want to consider the body work then using something like a vinyl decal or even just POR the metal... like a huge black stripe or something.

You can make the truck look good after a body repair of you get creative with the paint.

My box has wheel arch rust... I plan on welding in a patch, prime, then slapping those fender flairs on it. Even if I have to but a new set every 2-4 years still cheaper than paint and looks good.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by sammyg
I am going through the same thing with my 07 Supercrew. I've had it a bit over 3 years,the truck was bought new in the Cleveland ,Ohio area. I have rust in both lower cab corners,over both wheel lips on the bed,the tailgate,and one small spot on the L/side front fender. Took it last week to get an estimate,I'm looking at $4300.00 repair bill. I'm not sure I want to put that much money into a 10 year old truck,but at the same time I don't want to drive a rust bucket. Mechanically my truck is in excellent shape,at this time with around 113,000 miles showing on the odometer. I,m like you,I like my truck a lot but is it worth putting that much into getting the rust issues repaired. So far I've found one body shop in my area that will take on the the job,most shops anymore will only work on wrecks and insurance claims.
Wow, your repairs must not be as extreme as mine. The quotes I got are double that!
It really is a tough decision and to top it off, I don't have the money to fix it - that's the reason I'm debating about selling it... Aside from going that route, I could fix it a little at a time, however the end result would still be dumping a lot of money into a 10yr old truck that I've had for 2.
After reading everyone's replies, and reading a few other topics, I had a wild idea to find another truck and swap engines.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Kleven
I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna cough up the Two Grand to have the cab corners replaced, but I'll just kinda patch/clean up the box for a little while. When it gets too bad to stand, I'll just take a trip somewhere out of the rust belt and get a different box swapped on.

For what I was quoted to re-skin the sides of the box and paint it, I could take a week off of work, drive to the desert (from Minneapolis), buy a wrecking yard box, have it swapped out down there, and drive home.
Same here. The shops we talked to want to re-skin both sides of the bed and blast the frame (it is currently flaking so much that even a bottle of Head & Shoulders wouldn't fix it).
Old 08-06-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by MilosF150
Painting is the real issue. Metalworking (cut/weld in a new panel) is not expensive.. getting it to look pretty is.

You might want to consider the body work then using something like a vinyl decal or even just POR the metal... like a huge black stripe or something.

You can make the truck look good after a body repair of you get creative with the paint.

My box has wheel arch rust... I plan on welding in a patch, prime, then slapping those fender flairs on it. Even if I have to but a new set every 2-4 years still cheaper than paint and looks good.

I have the tri-coat white on this pick up. One guys says it will be a pain to match and the other guy says he won't have any problems. LoL

I don't know much about body repairs but she has so many areas that need attention, that I wouldn't tackle anything myself unless I had tons of experience.
Good luck on yours! That sounds like a good idea!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

After giving this some serious thought and several conversations with the boss, I've come to the conclusion that I may just get the cab corners fixed and try to slow the rust on the bed down and cover it with a flair. Right now all it is on the bed is just a few bubbles in the paint. I'm not going to put 4-5 thousand dollars of body work into a 10 year old truck.
I can't paint but I have done some metal work in my time and may try to do the cab corners myself. Years ago I replaced the cab corners and welded in some repair panels over the wheel lips on a 1979 model F150 I used to have.I then had a buddy do the paint.

Last edited by sammyg; 08-08-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 07 Rust Problems - Repair or Replace?