Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync kind of sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Sync kind of sucks?

I've got an 11' FX4, and love the truck. However, I've been less than impressed with SYNC. I've got it paired to my iphone 3GS, and it rarely works like it is supposed to. The phone pairs with the system most of the time, but SYNC doesn't seem to understand my voice commands. I don't have a thick accent or anything like that. Most often it just sticks under "Listening" like I haven't said anything at all OR it will say "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you." I know I am using the correct voice commands because sometimes it actually does work. Other times, if you walk it through step by step, it may work. Like "Phone" - "Call"- "Call XXX Person". Bottom line, I've almost quit using it because it is so annoying. It does similar things when trying to use the audio function through the USB.

Anyone having issues like this? I wonder if there is a software update or something.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I have never seen a voice activation system that really works on anything. The sync system is great in every aspect but that one... but it works exactly like I expected it to.... "sketchy" to borrow a word from my teenagers...

I still like the system but I agree the voice thing isnt great.

I am glad to hear it isnt just me... as a southern guy from Georgia I have that hillbilly / redneck slang.... On a cruise ship a few years ago I have some people think I was Jeff Foxworthy. Sync has some issues with reneck words for sure.

Greg
Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

There might be, check the syncmyride.com site and see. Also there are a lot of iphone users that have less than impressive service with sync. I have a Droid X and it worked flawless until I got rid of it in favor of an aftermarket HU that does it all.

It was a cool novelty at first but then it has to be perfectly quiet for it to understand and with 3 kids in back it doesnt always get quiet! With the windows down voice recognition is useless.

Nice novelty but it wore off and now have a HU that does everything that sync did and more!

Wish I would have kept my $400 bucks!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think once it learns u and once u learn it, it gets a lil better.

I have a Texas Mexican accent and it works 80% of the time.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Sync works better than what is in the wife's Audi, but neither of them are great. I have 0 issues with my Droid X phone though. I've found I have to speak very concise and clear and it works better. When passengers are talking or the window is down, fugettaboutit.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Sync is awesome, apple crap doesnt like to play nice with other hardware most of the time. I sync mine with a blackberry tour and a droid motorla milestone and motorola razer all the time with no issues ever. and there is a voice training feature for sync to help it better understand you if you talk like jeff foxworthy, haha! Mine works flawlessly without voice training, but if I were you I would check it out. Also maybe you are starting to talk before its actually listening. When its talking it aint listening, you have to wait for the tone. You might have better luck with getting iphones to work with it if you check out www.syncmyride.com and the forums over there, ive heard people say updating their iphones helps in most cases. Also like spdmpo says no one else can be talking, my friends/family think its funny as hell to start yacking and say stupid stuff whenever im trying to use a voice command, but when Im the only one talking it works great.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

No issue at all with my Sync. I have it paired with a Samsung Rouge using Verizon.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sync is Microsoft so what can you expect, they always have glitchy software . Was hoping Apple would offer something...heh. Also a reason Apple may not play nice with Sync is most likely due to MS designing it that way..lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't used the voice feature, so I have no complaints about that.....what I do have a complaint with, is that every time I get into my truck, the ipod feature on my phone starts playing. I usually just listen to the radio, but every time I look at my phone, it's got a song playing. Is there any way to turn off that feature, until I want to use my device?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord-of-Ford
Sync is Microsoft so what can you expect, they always have glitchy software . Was hoping Apple would offer something...heh. Also a reason Apple may not play nice with Sync is most likely due to MS designing it that way..lol.
No, its definitely an apple problem, even apple fanboys who know what they are talking about will tell you so. Sync works fine with every other phone, only apple is problem. Its apple design flaw. I hear they are working on a fix though.

Quick Reply: Sync kind of sucks?