Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from F150 To Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Switching from F150 To Expedition

This has been a great forum and many have helped me and given me good advice. Thank you all! My 2013 F150 was my first truck and she's been great but I was never truly thrilled by having a truck bed versus an enclosed SUV style vehicle. Even with the bed cap, things still get wet and dirty. If I didn't carry expensive electronics/cameras in the bed it might not be such an issue. While the extra room was fantastic, even with a bed slide, it is a pain to get gear in the rear of the bed. If I didn't need the bed cap it would be a different story.

I did some test drives and, since Ford has been good on the F150, I am leaning towards a 2016 Expedition, if they can meet my numbers. I had my doubts because it only comes with the V6 but on the test drive it was nice and peppy. My dealer lined up my F150 side by side with the Expedition EL and surprisingly they are the same length. Rear axle was further forward on the Expedition. The Expedition does seem narrower in the interior which means slight less room for the gear. I like the fact that the rear door opens up so you can stand under it, which is particularly nice when it's raining. My F150's cap doesn't offer that.

Dealer offered me $31k for my F150 Platinum with 31,000 miles. Not sure if that's good or bad. Dealer didn't know what to do with the winch. No regrets on the F150; I never had an issue (except for the driver side door pull sometimes requiring two pulls -- Ford calls this a feature?). Platinum has nice amenities but I wouldn't do a Platinum on the Expedition.

Anyway, I've been visiting this forum off and on for 3 years so I just wanted to say thanks! If you have experience with an Expedition let me know your thoughts!

Kind regards,
Derek
Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Unhappy

Originally Posted by nullname
This has been a great forum and many have helped me and given me good advice. Thank you all! My 2013 F150 was my first truck and she's been great but I was never truly thrilled by having a truck bed versus an enclosed SUV style vehicle. Even with the bed cap, things still get wet and dirty. If I didn't carry expensive electronics/cameras in the bed it might not be such an issue. While the extra room was fantastic, even with a bed slide, it is a pain to get gear in the rear of the bed. If I didn't need the bed cap it would be a different story.

I did some test drives and, since Ford has been good on the F150, I am leaning towards a 2016 Expedition, if they can meet my numbers. I had my doubts because it only comes with the V6 but on the test drive it was nice and peppy. My dealer lined up my F150 side by side with the Expedition EL and surprisingly they are the same length. Rear axle was further forward on the Expedition. The Expedition does seem narrower in the interior which means slight less room for the gear. I like the fact that the rear door opens up so you can stand under it, which is particularly nice when it's raining. My F150's cap doesn't offer that.

Dealer offered me $31k for my F150 Platinum with 31,000 miles. Not sure if that's good or bad. Dealer didn't know what to do with the winch. No regrets on the F150; I never had an issue (except for the driver side door pull sometimes requiring two pulls -- Ford calls this a feature?). Platinum has nice amenities but I wouldn't do a Platinum on the Expedition.

Anyway, I've been visiting this forum off and on for 3 years so I just wanted to say thanks! If you have experience with an Expedition let me know your thoughts!

Kind regards,
Derek
Sorry to see you go... If you pull the trigger in the Expedition best of luck.. enjoy and be safe..

(does not mean you cannot keep your account and drop by every now and again to keep us updated)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

we had a 2010 Expedition with the 5.4 and now have a 2015 with the ecoboost. Absolutely killer road trip vehicle and we don't miss the v8 at all.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

31k on trade seems too low. Is it 4x2? I almost traded mine in and was offered 35k. I have 13 fx4 fully loaded with 31500 miles. I could sell it for 40k easily. If you can, sell it privately, youll have more money to put towards the expy. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Derek - trade values can vary, low or high, weigh the entire deal! Shopping around sometimes makes a big difference, too!

Will your winch fit on the XP? You could always sell it yourself, if you think it's worth your time and effort.

Enjoy your new Ford!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:50 AM

Thanks guys! I will definitely keep my account! I am waiting for better pricing right now on a 2016, so all this will depend on whether the dealer wants to make some money or no money at all.

The Expedition drove more like a car than a truck, very smooth. It handled really well and hats off to Ford. I have to say, my opinion of Ford has changed for the better over the years, especially since owning the F150.

My F150 Plat is a 4x4 with a cap, working winch and $1,500 bed slide (I know the dealership doesn't care about the cap, winch or the bed slide). She's in perfect condition with one exception - I'm still on the original tires and they need to be replaced. That's another reason for considering this move at this time -- if I don't switch I will spend $1,000 - $1,250 on new 20" tires and that money could go towards a down payment on the Expedition.

Not sure if I have the time to sell my F150 myself, I'm a workaholic and have little time for anything else. It could be worth the extra, unless I can get the dealer to be more realistic. We'll see, hopefully they want to make the sale and they know I'm ready to sign.

Kind regards,
Derek

Last edited by nullname; 09-15-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by AbitaPro
Derek - trade values can vary, low or high, weigh the entire deal! Shopping around sometimes makes a big difference, too!

Will your winch fit on the XP? You could always sell it yourself, if you think it's worth your time and effort.

Enjoy your new Ford!
I know, and times are much tighter these days and I have to look at everything. I do not need to switch to the Expedition, I could remain with the F150, but an SUV was likely what I should have gone with originally. The dealer knows I can walk away. I got an Internet price from another dealer for $3,000 less, so I have something to bargain with now.

Regarding the winch, I checked the Expedition and there is something in that spot in the front, I think it's related to the V6 Ecoboost. Plus not sure the RC plate will fit on the Expedition.

Kind regards,
Derek
Old 09-15-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Don't donate your mods to the dealer unless they are willing to pay for them. Cap, bed slide, and winch could be sold easily on craiglist or here. That could be an extra $2k for the down payment as well.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (09-15-2015)

Quick Reply: Switching from F150 To Expedition