Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadmaster AS or Hellwig Pro-Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Default Roadmaster AS or Hellwig Pro-Series

Anybody have any input on which one is better.

Typically Pull a 24' Baystealth, which is pretty heavy not sure on exact weight, about every other weekend or so.

I would even like to here the Roadmaster reps input on the two, to help on my decision.

Thanks in advanced Ladies and Gents.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

I don't pull, but I can speak towards the RAS when loaded to my payload limits...it's plain and simple...it works. The truck doesn't slap off of the overloads. The trucks reduced motion is predictable and controlled. Even the lowest (white disc) setting was very noticeably better than stock, and I've since cranked more tension into the RAS to a very tight black disc. I cannot say how it'll work for your needs, however I'm pleased with how it's working for me.
The following users liked this post:
RajunKajun59 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I pull a 27' Bluewater offshore fishing boat. I have the RAS and set it using the black tension disc. It greatly reduced the sag on the rear while adding a good bit of stability at highway speeds. I don't tow much over 60mph typically, but was comfortable at 70 last summer with the boat behind me. 70 really hurts the MPG - I didn't go very far at that speed.

The only down side to the RAS was, at that tension the unloaded ride height was increased by about 3/4 of an inch. I added front leveling kit so it didn't look all jacked up... So the down side led to an up side for me - just cost more than I initially planned for.
RajunKajun59 (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 09:48 AM

Will the RAS work with a higher block? Looking to get a Coilover kit like F150lifts Ultimate or Icons.

I figured someone would have tried Hellwigs, although the RAS looks easier to install and has been proven to reduce axle wrap. Hellwig had no such statement on the site.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by RajunKajun59
Will the RAS work with a higher block? Looking to get a Coilover kit like F150lifts Ultimate or Icons.
YES it will. The only thing that might affect the install of the RAS would be an add-a-leaf as the spring pack would be thicker. Just thinking out loud. You'd be fine with a taller block.

Originally Posted by RajunKajun59
I figured someone would have tried Hellwigs, although the RAS looks easier to install and has been proven to reduce axle wrap. Hellwig had no such statement on the site.
The RAS has reduced shudder for me. I didn't realize that I had any until after I installed the kit. Takeoff is much smoother and just hooks and goes.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 AM
FlyFisher

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

FWIW, Another option to consider if you haven't already done so is an AAL. I have the Bilstein 5100s installed at all 4 corners with the fronts set on 1.5". I have a Leer topper. The truck was almost perfectly level. However, whenever I added any weight to the rear or towed my driftboat, the truck would squat and I would ride nose up; it drove me crazy. I didn't want rear blocks because they don't do anything other than raise the rear end and may introduce axle wrap/shudder- I wanted something that would support payload.

I researched RAS and helper springs such as Hellwig and Superspring. I have read good things about the RAS, the only complaint I've read about is the finish i.e. rust. I chose the AAL because it works for what I needed, and was significantly cheaper than RAS and the helper springs. Some complaints I've about AAL is they make the ride harsher. This can happen depending on the length and stiffness of the AAL. The longer the better. I ordered from General Springs (http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_...150_s/1862.htm) because they offer long springs in 3 different payload capacities specifically designed for the Ford F150. The ride is a little firmer, but overall quality has not been impacted. More info in this thread from multiple posters who installed AAL- https://www.f150forum.com/f38/add-leaf-255798/ .
Old 02-11-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

So I see where a few people say it helped minimize or eliminate the axle wrap/take off shutter. I would like to hear from more folks who had this issue and what impact the RAS had on it both unloaded and under load.

My truck only has 500 miles on it (14 FX4 screw 6.5' max tow) and I noticed a significant shutter on take off with only a 400 lb ATV in the bed and a SXS on a 10ft trailer being towed behind me. Then I payed more attention and noticed it even does it empty but not nearly as bad.

I intend on getting a 5th wheel hitch and pulling a 9,000 lb fifth wheel and I need something that will be able to keep the truck level and minimize the axle wrap/shutter issue.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Heavysledz
So I see where a few people say it helped minimize or eliminate the axle wrap/take off shutter. I would like to hear from more folks who had this issue and what impact the RAS had on it both unloaded and under load.

My truck only has 500 miles on it (14 FX4 screw 6.5' max tow) and I noticed a significant shutter on take off with only a 400 lb ATV in the bed and a SXS on a 10ft trailer being towed behind me. Then I payed more attention and noticed it even does it empty but not nearly as bad.

I intend on getting a 5th wheel hitch and pulling a 9,000 lb fifth wheel and I need something that will be able to keep the truck level and minimize the axle wrap/shutter issue.
I didn't think I had shudder until I installed the RAS and realized that I had some but it was VERY MINIMAL. I don't tow, but I have been loaded heavy a few times on long road trips and the RAS has performed well. You may want to look into an air bag setup if you're planning on towing often. It's more adjustable than the RAS for that application. The bags however won't (to my knowledge) do much on the shudder issue...maybe some.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

MCDavis - thank you for the feedback. I thought about airbags as well but from what I have read, it doesn't do much for the shutter caused by the axle wrap issue.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:04 AM

I am at a toss up between Pro-Comp Long Add-a-Leafs or the RAS. I guess it Depends on which one offers better wheel hop and axle rap reduction.

Quick Reply: Roadmaster AS or Hellwig Pro-Series