Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Back Up camera on a 2014

Old 07-11-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Replacing Back Up camera on a 2014

Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing some issues with my back up camera lately. Flickering screen, blue screen, or just saying there was no signal. So after looking around here and some other places, it seems that my camera may have burnt out. So at this point, I have a few questions about what camera to get to replace it, and how to install the replacements.

The first option is an oem at about 300 bucks. I know I would have to pop off the rear emblem and would most likely break it and need to replace it. After that, its undo a few bolts and tabs and pop the new one in.

The second option is from Camera Source, https://camera-source.com/2008-2013-...ra-module.html and costs about 250. I would have to follow the same procedure to get the emblem off, but does this camera just pop into the stock location and use the stock connections or do I have to run a wire though the tailgate to under the truck somewhere? Has anyone used these before?

Also, if anyone has any info on a place to get a cheaper oem camera, or other ideas for why the camera isn't working I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:03 PM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by archer23
Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing some issues with my back up camera lately. Flickering screen, blue screen, or just saying there was no signal. So after looking around here and some other places, it seems that my camera may have burnt out. So at this point, I have a few questions about what camera to get to replace it, and how to install the replacements.

The first option is an oem at about 300 bucks. I know I would have to pop off the rear emblem and would most likely break it and need to replace it. After that, its undo a few bolts and tabs and pop the new one in.

The second option is from Camera Source, https://camera-source.com/2008-2013-...ra-module.html and costs about 250. I would have to follow the same procedure to get the emblem off, but does this camera just pop into the stock location and use the stock connections or do I have to run a wire though the tailgate to under the truck somewhere? Has anyone used these before?

Also, if anyone has any info on a place to get a cheaper oem camera, or other ideas for why the camera isn't working I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Junk yard would be a good place if they have any In Stock. Not 100% sure on crossover years/vehicles.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl

Junk yard would be a good place if they have any In Stock. Not 100% sure on crossover years/vehicles.
That is a great idea, I have an online inquiry to the pick a part place down the street. I had totally forgotten about that place, unfortunately their online inventory didn't have the camera listed, but maybe they will tell me something different tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm hoping to find a generic that can be retrofitted, my factory one stinks and 250 or 300 is ridiculous when there are all these standalone systems for like $50
Old 07-12-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't think the aftermarket ones send the same type of signal as the OEM cameras.

Ford is ****ing their customers with these camera prices. It's probably how they are paying for the thousands of rental cars they are providing for owners of the Takata airbag cars waiting on parts to fix the airbags.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Before you fire the parts cannon at the problem make sure the camera is the actual problem. More likely it's a problem with the APIM. The first thing I would do is have some one with an advanced scan tool or Forscan check to see if the there are fault codes for the APIM.

A camera can't burn out, it's a physical lens not any different than an old school camera. The APIM is the computer that interprets the digital signal coming from the camera and displays that image on the screen.

Last edited by RL1990; 07-12-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

The cameras are pretty flaky, they crap out on the Edges, Mustangs, F150s. Unfortunately, it likely is the camera.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by RL1990
Before you fire the parts cannon at the problem make sure the camera is the actual problem. More likely it's a problem with the APIM. The first thing I would do is have some one with an advanced scan tool or Forscan check to see if the there are fault codes for the APIM.

A camera can't burn out, it's a physical lens not any different than an old school camera. The APIM is the computer that interprets the digital signal coming from the camera and displays that image on the screen.
Is Forscan a fairly easy tool for someone to use? Would a bluetooth obd2 work with that app? ( would love some recs if they are comparable) I'd rather try that myself for 40 bucks than who knows how much for the dealer to diagnose it.

Last edited by archer23; 08-21-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:31 PM

Talked to my dealer today, they said a camera replacement was the most likely solution, and it would be 650-700ish bucks. I can find them much cheaper.

Can someone please double check these part numbers as the two things I will need? One is the camera, the other is the emblem.

Thanks for all your help!

EL3Z-19G490-D
CL3Z-9942528-B
Old 10-23-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

$700?! yikes. Tasca Parts seems to have them much cheaper if that's where you've been looking. also check ebay for the part numbers. i'd assume that's all you need if they've diagnosed that the camera was the problem.

what about unplugging and plugging it back in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Back Up camera on a 2014