Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Read before renewing registration!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Read before renewing registration!!!

Dear Fellow Truck Owners,

The time has come for me to renew my registration in the State of FL. I filled out all the online paperwork and when the time came to pay I noticed the amount was much more than I paid last year (Mazda Sedan). I did some research and it turns out that the State uses the GVRW (Gross Vehicle Rated Weight) The GVRW includes the net weight of the vehicle, plus the weight of passengers, fuel and CARGO. This puts the truck into the 7000-7999lb category. So I picked up the phone and called the best run department in the State, the DMV. After waiting on hold for 30 minutes a very nice, well spoken lady named Sheniqua picked up and offered to help me with anything I need. After being passed around the Department for a while I finally got an answer. It's as simple as coming into the DMV and requesting to change my GVRW. The lowest they can drop it is 5999lbs. This is good news and drops the truck 2 weight categories. Bottom line - Go to the DMV, no paperwork or documentation required and change you GVRW to 5999lbs. and save over 80$ a year.
The following 4 users liked this post by portajim:
BE25FX4 (11-21-2012), bigmike1461 (11-20-2012), killerrudy (11-20-2012), mikeyd (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

OMG I had to laugh. Is it possible every DMV in this country is ran by one big giant head.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 373 Likes on 227 Posts

Just make sure you never get pulled over while carrying anything. When they look at your registration and see you have it registered for the weight of the truck only, and you have anything in the bed, they could ticket you. Pay me now or pay me later.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Alabama is my state

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford850
Just make sure you never get pulled over while carrying anything. When they look at your registration and see you have it registered for the weight of the truck only, and you have anything in the bed, they could ticket you. Pay me now or pay me later.

I'd take this bet any day. There is NO WAY a cop would ever
1. know about or check this
2. actually write this ticket unless you were a complete *** to him/her or
3. care about the weight of your vehicle unless you are towing a ridiculous looking unsafe load.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfeffer

3. care about the weight of your vehicle unless you are towing a ridiculous looking unsafe load.
+1, lol
Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Navy IT

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Until you have an accident with a loaded truck or pulling something in which you could be considered partially or fully liable for utilizing a vehicle outside its class limits. A cop isn't the person I'd be worried about, it's the lawyer behind the insurance company.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Don't spreadsheet this..

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

^^I cannot agree with this more.

The only way a truck's weight would probably come into play under the OPs situation would be if a commercial vehicle enforcement agency decided to do a traffic stop/inspection. However, that is only the case if trucks are registered/considered commercial vehicles in one's state or jurisdiction. I know that some states are a little stringent on the private ownership of light and medium duty trucks.

Last edited by flanneljunkie; 11-20-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by jjfertig

Until you have an accident with a loaded truck or pulling something in which you could be considered partially or fully liable for utilizing a vehicle outside its class limits. A cop isn't the person I'd be worried about, it's the lawyer behind the insurance company.
The gvwr number on the registration doesn't change the actual gvwr, I wouldn't be worried about it, lol.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

In Texas it would not be the sheriff or the local guys. Here, the highway patrol would be your problem. They are trained and rigged to know unsafe/ questionably safe loads and be able to run them on scales on the spot (portable scales). They will run your plates and check your GVWR, and if they think you are over, they are going to check.

Last edited by willieboy; 11-20-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by willieboy
In Texas it would not be the sheriff or the local guys. Here, the highway patrol would be your problem. They are trained and rigged to know unsafe/ questionably safe loads and be able to run them on scales on the spot (portable scales). They will run your plates and check your GVWR, and if they think you are over, they are going to check.
Florida is the same way, happens to construction crews all the time, then most of the get a ticket for no class d or cdl depending on what the weight of the truck and trailer is

Quick Reply: Read before renewing registration!!!