Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is off road package worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is off road package worth it?

I realized that I can add off road package to my xlt order tonight relatively cheap. Especially since it makes the locker I ordered standard. I see u get skid plates, etc. what else do u get. Different tires? Any reason not to add this?
Old 09-08-2014, 01:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It also gives you downhill decent mode.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

YES! YES!
The skid plates alone are worth it.
And of course it is in conjunction with the electronic locking rear diff plus offroad tuned shocks.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Doesn't it change the tires from all-seasons to all-terrains as well? I believe this is true for the non-20" wheeled models (17/18").

Just look at a few of the window stickers for ones with package and without, the tire size/type is on the sticker.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Lets not forget the best/most important part ever... The bedside decal!
The following users liked this post:
Anthony86 (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

Name:  20140902_164049_zpsw44thpsp.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  121.0 KB
Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Bigger wheels, tires and heavier shocks, skid plates...

That said, if you're going to put on aftermarket tires and wheels, and upgrade with shocks and a lift kit there's not much more after that...

My shocks keep leaking so I've decided to install my own upgraded shocks and as for the skid plates...well in the 80s, those were skid plates. Today, I'm not sure we get the same level of protection as we used to with these skid plates being much thinner, smaller and made out of what looks like felt paper.

Today's off road package is more for the guy that misses his driveway and veers onto the lawn as opposed to actually going "off road".
The following 2 users liked this post by Stu Cazzo:
FX4HAWAII (09-08-2014), ThatBlue4x4 (09-09-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

its worth it but dont get to excited over the shocks... they really stink and no better than the regular ones (its not like you get Rancho's as on the SuperDuty). i found the rear bed skittered around something awful.

never have used hill decent control function on any vehicle yet.. but maybe its just because i know how to drive off-road, use engine braking and prefer to do my own driving?

the 3.55 E locker is great.. a must if you do step rock crawling and such. it really eliminates tire spin and pulls you up like a tractor. also, very happy with that size gear ratio on the street as well w/the 5.0L engine.

i did replace the OEM front skid plate w/a RCI, left the stock transfer case plate but added a RCi fuel tank skid plate to replace the cheap plastic OEM one. the OEM fuel skid plate was kind of a disappointment. when you get it off, it looks like poor kids snow sled!

the box graffics never lasted more than a a few hours on my truck.. peeled them off the night i bought it. personally, i really dont need to be reminded im driving a 4X4 each time i walk up to it. :-)

Last edited by RESQLAB; 09-08-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dannofx4
Today's off road package is more for the guy that misses his driveway and veers onto the lawn as opposed to actually going "off road".
Haha! In other words, the guy that comes home drunk and runs over the mailbox, garden gnome, and the rock with the backlit address numbers on it.

If you hit all 3 just right there is the potential they could stack to some degree causing you to high center. This is where the locker comes in handy allowing you to drag your self off. Do this a few times and the locker option on the truck is cheaper than the combined wrecker bills you might otherwise have.

As for me, I gotta be completely honest... I don't drink, so it really was all about the sticker, and only the sticker. I wanted to make sure I looked cooler than the next guy with just "4x4" or even worse, a 2wd with no sticker at all (the horror) while cruising through the nice paved streets in the suburbs. Most importantly, it had to be there for all to see while parked at walmart and the grocery store. Sure I could just buy the sticker, but then I'd be a poser... and I can't be havin' none of that either.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by RESQLAB
its worth it but dont get to excited over the shocks... they really stink and no better than the regular ones (its not like you get Rancho's as on the SuperDuty). i found the rear bed skittered around something awful.

never have used hill decent control function on any vehicle yet.. but maybe its just because i know how to drive off-road, use engine braking and prefer to do my own driving?

the 3.55 E locker is great.. a must if you do step rock crawling and such. it really eliminates tire spin and pulls you up like a tractor. also, very happy with that size gear ratio on the street as well w/the 5.0L engine.

i did replace the OEM front skid plate w/a RCI, left the stock transfer case plate but added a RCi fuel tank skid plate to replace the cheap plastic OEM one. the OEM fuel skid plate was kind of a disappointment. when you get it off, it looks like poor kids snow sled!

the box graffics never lasted more than a a few hours on my truck.. peeled them off the night i bought it. personally, i really dont need to be reminded im driving a 4X4 each time i walk up to it. :-)

Realistically, reference to "offroad" is a misnomer for the way most people use their trucks. Instead, "off-pavement" better suits, i.e., on graded dirt or gravel roads where maximum undercarriage protection is a non-issue. With plastic fuel tanks, better some protection than none. Those RCI skids do look good although cost to replace adds up by time powdercoat is specified plus shipping. If I do, I'll start w/ RCI's tank skid.

I'll be replacing OEM shocks w/ Bilstein 4600 "yellows" as soon as available for 2014+ F150. Sadly, no indication on Bilstein website when. No way I'll be crawling rocks w/ my own truck since my jeep is dedicated trail rig equipped w/ full complement of aftermarket skid protection front to rear. My truck will frequently see off-pavement use on local forest service roads but nothing that FS vehicles don't routinely travel.

BTW, mine still sports FX4 box decals but maybe not much longer. I removed the "Nismo" box decals on my former Frontier right away and never missed 'em...

Quick Reply: Is off road package worth it?