Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling Kits? Where to start??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling Kits? Where to start??

First, I am brand new to all of this but learn quick. I have a Stock 2011 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost with 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers that I wanted to add a leveling kit too, but I have several questions and don't really know where to start. Overall I want my truck to be level and just a touch higher. One thing is I DO NOT want my truck nose high at all. I want it level or if anything just like a half inch nose down. Here are my many questions, thanks for the help!

1. How do I figure out if I should do a 2" or 2.5" lift in front- how do i figure out what will level my truck?

2. Why have some guys posted to do a 2.5" level in front and a 3" blocks with shocks in back? Does that just lift the overall truck and then keep it slightly nose down?

3. I have heard guys talk about "spacers" to help their tire clearance to prevent rubbing, is that spacers on the inside of the wheel?

4. I was looking at the rough country 2.5" front level with the 2.2 shocks in back called the level and lift, I guess i dont understand what this would be achieving? Is that like putting blocks on the back?

5. and finally... Between Autosprings and Rough Country..or any other leveling kit company, which is recommended for overall performance and ride without compressing springs? I like the lifts that add on top of the spring mounts, but dont know if that is best.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by kjordan; 10-23-2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want to see what your truck looks with a front kit, simply take a jack and jack the front of the truck up 1.5", 2" and 2.5". That'll give you a quick glimpse of what it'll look like and you'll be able to measure from the ground to fender lip to get measurements so you're not nose high. I also did the 2.5" front and the 3" rear block because I like the stance and one day will get bigger tires.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 AM

I have 2013 F150 Super crew, I installed the rough country level lift with 2.2 rear shocks yesterday, it adds blocks to the rear as well as the strut spacers. my truck is level to the eye, .25 nose down via measurements .
Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, I also went with Autospring. Zero problems and an easy install.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Silentasset
I have 2013 F150 Super crew, I installed the rough country level lift with 2.2 rear shocks yesterday, it adds blocks to the rear as well as the strut spacers. my truck is level to the eye, .25 nose down via measurements .
Was that the 2.5" front level? And do the 2.2 shocks add any lift to the back or is that just the blocks? Was there old blocks you took out or did you just add the new ones on the back?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

The shocks don't add lift the lift comes from the rear blocks. A cheaper way to go would be to just do a 1 1/2" or 2" level on the front. I have a heavy metal 2" kit from ebay on mine and it sits perfect for me. It is not nose high actually about 1/4" lower in front but looks perfectly level to the naked eye. The spacers people talk about are just wheel spacers that go between your hub and wheels to push them out some. This is because of the offset of te stock wheels when you put a wider tire on they may cause rubbing on the uca and swaybar. As long as your tire isn't over 12" wide you shouldn't need wheel spacers.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjordan
Was that the 2.5" front level? And do the 2.2 shocks add any lift to the back or is that just the blocks? Was there old blocks you took out or did you just add the new ones on the back?

The shocks do not add lift.

I installed the Rough Country 2.5/1 lift with rear shocks about 3 weeks ago and am pretty happy.

The RC kit comes with a 1" block that you put between factory block and leaf springs. It's your choice as to whether or not you want it there. You will read and here that each truck level's out differently. Some need the 1" rear block after adding the 2.5" front and some don't.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Kickin it

Received 160 Likes on 145 Posts

2" HBS all you need
Old 10-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Park your truck on level ground and measure the distance from the ground to the middle of the wheel well on the fender on the front and the back. If your back is 2" higher than the front, buy a 2" leveling kit.

Adding a leveling kit and taller rear blocks will raise the entire truck. The amount of rake will depend on how much taller the new blocks are compared to the stock ones.

Like mikeyfitz, I went with the 2" HBS leveling kit.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently installed the autospring 2.5" spacer and the 3" rear block. And then I got some 285/75/17 Toyo AT II's. I installed the block because I still wanted some rake to it as I do occasionally tow 5K lbs. I didn't want to have to adjust my headlights every time I tow.

Stock w/canopy

Stock before leveling kit

After Leveling Kit , stock tires

After Leveling Kit With new tires

Last edited by j8tnub; 10-23-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Leveling Kits? Where to start??