Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory nav

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Factory nav

Is it just me or is the factory navigation pretty basic? My wife's $99 gps has speed display and speed limit warning and traffic, according to the manual i can't get traffic on my ford nav in Canada. I really like the fact that everything is integrated in the touch screen I just thought the nav would have more features.

Or maybe its just user error and I should read the manual.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Back from the dark side

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not you.

Sirius traffic is available here in the US, and you're not missing much by not having it available. By the time it tells you about the upcoming jammo, you're already committed unless you're a local yocal that knows a way around it. No speed display is available, and no speed limit or traffic camera info either. It's very basic. Even the POI's are about two years out of date.

Now for the good, it's part of the dash so no wires hanging around to hook up the Garmin, it's integrated with the climate control and provides a nice viewing area if you have the backup cam.

You should still read the manual. You will probably learn a few things about your truck that you did not know.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally think the factory nav is much better than any garmin I have owned. I have owned very expensive gamins 399 and up and you can route one way to a destination the none of them would take you back the same way etc. Always had software issues with garmin as well. I like the fact that I can simply hit the talk button while driving and lock in a destination hands free
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM
2009 F150 Platinum

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by motox151
I personally think the factory nav is much better than any garmin I have owned. I have owned very expensive gamins 399 and up and you can route one way to a destination the none of them would take you back the same way etc. Always had software issues with garmin as well. I like the fact that I can simply hit the talk button while driving and lock in a destination hands free
I cant even hardly believe this post. If the in-dash nav. in my platinum didnt look so good and provide other useful stuff (music, back up cam, climate control, etc.) I would not have it. My garmin which is like 6 years old is still better and more useful than the factory nav. It is difficult to use, even when completely stopped and almost impossible to get somewhere new if you are already moving. Maybe I need to sit down and really acquainted with the factory system.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

The factory nav is the biggest POS, waste of money I have ever spent in my life.. Ford should be taken out to the wood shed on this one. I just had my truck in the shop for 2 days and they gave me a 2012 dodge ram with the basic stereo and it totally blows this thing away, even with the sub my truck has way less bass and half the power. As for the actual navigation, I used to use a tomtom, and it was just as good as the factory setup. The menu system looks like it was designed by a 6 year old. Not very intuitive at all. If want a built in nav save your money and go after market, case closed, no comparison. Ford/Sony is junk!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

All things considered, the functionality of the Ford unit is the best, IMO. Split screens, countdown bars, view options, etc., are better than the Garmin, TomTom and Magellan GPS units I've used. Re: the factory unit being a POS, the user interface is largely a personal preference which can be made a less cumbersome by using a Sync Lockpick http://www.coastaletech.com, which gives you other benefits. One thing I'm not crazy 'bout, though: $199 to update the maps! Haven't found the need to do that.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

dead serious guys, I really like the ford nav! I think it is hands down better than my garmin.

My use is limited though, I only use my nab to get from point a to point b which it does great and also has lane assist and shows things like speed limits etc. I even took my garmin with me on my way down to NC and that gay thing had me going 67 miles out of the way to Jacksonville. My wifes tom tom seems pretty solid but I love my factory nav lol
Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree 100% that the ford nav is junk but it sure looks alot better in the truck than the other radio options.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by motox151
dead serious guys, I really like the ford nav! I think it is hands down better than my garmin.

My use is limited though, I only use my nab to get from point a to point b which it does great and also has lane assist and shows things like speed limits etc. I even took my garmin with me on my way down to NC and that gay thing had me going 67 miles out of the way to Jacksonville. My wifes tom tom seems pretty solid but I love my factory nav lol
I have to say the factory Nav so far is really good. I have the latest Garmin Nuvi and its every bit as good.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

That Sync LP-1 Lockpick looks freakin' awesome...

Quick Reply: Factory nav