Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Essential Mods for the Basic Guy

Old 07-12-2013, 04:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Essential Mods for the Basic Guy

Love this forum and love my Ford- 2011 Lariat SCrew 5.0 Silver Ingot. I got all of my mod ideas from the great members of this forum and after following it for 2 yrs, wanted to share what I've done as the Basic Guys Mod. As a basic guy, I've left the exterior alone, no lift or after market rims ( have Ford chrome clad 20's). I spent most of my time on the interior and bed where I thought it counted the most. In retrospect all the mods I did should have been standard or basic offerings at a small cost from Ford. For those looking for a one stop place to pickup on ideas or decide on what mods to start with, I hope this will help. For links to the respective mod, you can simply look up the subject in the forum search to get more info.

1st- filled foam onto my Sony subwoofer (have Sony Premium Sound System). Made a huge difference in bass, from hollow muffled to clean boom.

2nd- Changed out front and rear speakers with coax 5x7 Polk Audio db571's (kept stock tweeters and Sony headunit). Total of $103 for all 4 at Crutchfield. Really cleared up the mid and highs complementing the bass from foamfilled sub.

3rd- added dualiner bed protector. Plastic side liner with thick rubber nottom. Easy to remove, clean and really protects
The following users liked this post:
SailingAlien (07-17-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 AM

Accidently hit the send button w/ big fingers.. To continue:

4th- Bakflip G2 folding bed cover. Took time to carefully adjust cover over rails. No leaks after 2 years and going strong. With Dualiner bedliner and Bakflip cover, its an awesome combination for the bed.

5th- VLED reverse light license plate frame. With crappy stock reverse lights tried Cree LED but didn't get the coverage (have rear camera). For $24, the LED plate frames threw the most where I needed it.

6th- Tailgate Keyless Remote lock. Ordered a $4 actuator from ebay. Hooked it up door lock wires under rear left passenger sill. One press of the fob unlocks my doors and tailgate. Took 3hrs of research on the forum and 30 min to install.

7th. DeeZ tail gate actuator. Going strong after 2yrs, no problems with cable crimping or loosening. Can unlock tail gate using fob and open the latch to slooooowly lower the tailgate.

8th- LED bedlights- bought Recon LED light stringer on Amazon for $30 on sale. Used 3m tape to mount under bed rail and wired back to cab dome light wire. Awesome lighting in the bed to unload stuff at night.

Hope this helps anyone looking some practical ideas for the most bang for your buck
Old 07-12-2013, 05:20 AM

Add two more
9- USB2 mod. Hides my music storage drive in my glove box.

10- Backseat storage. Used some cheap pine and black automotive carpet (Walmart fabric section) to build a underseat storage box. Used cardboard to trace the contour/curvature underseat and floor transition. Took few hours and about $10 to build. Beats the plastic $90+ Duha storage IMO.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:31 AM

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Nice. I did the same thing for my under seat storage box in the rear. Used some cardboard to mock up a box and then built it out of some plywood I already had.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sjabe
Accidently hit the send button w/ big fingers.. To continue:

4th- Bakflip G2 folding bed cover. Took time to carefully adjust cover over rails. No leaks after 2 years and going strong. With Dualiner bedliner and Bakflip cover, its an awesome combination for the bed.

5th- VLED reverse light license plate frame. With crappy stock reverse lights tried Cree LED but didn't get the coverage (have rear camera). For $24, the LED plate frames threw the most where I needed it.

6th- Tailgate Keyless Remote lock. Ordered a $4 actuator from ebay. Hooked it up door lock wires under rear left passenger sill. One press of the fob unlocks my doors and tailgate. Took 3hrs of research on the forum and 30 min to install.

7th. DeeZ tail gate actuator. Going strong after 2yrs, no problems with cable crimping or loosening. Can unlock tail gate using fob and open the latch to slooooowly lower the tailgate.

8th- LED bedlights- bought Recon LED light stringer on Amazon for $30 on sale. Used 3m tape to mount under bed rail and wired back to cab dome light wire. Awesome lighting in the bed to unload stuff at night.

Hope this helps anyone looking some practical ideas for the most bang for your buck
Got any photos of the storage? Right now I'm using the plastic bins that slide under the seat nicely because I'm a cheap *****. For $10 and some time I can do this too. Can you show me pics of your 5th mod?
Old 07-13-2013, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by stmartin84

Got any photos of the storage? Right now I'm using the plastic bins that slide under the seat nicely because I'm a cheap *****. For $10 and some time I can do this too. Can you show me pics of your 5th mod?
Attached photos of storage. Will have photos of VLED lights item 5 later tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails The Essential Mods for the Basic Guy-image-2376932494.jpg   The Essential Mods for the Basic Guy-image-3408401285.jpg  
msmith (07-22-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 07:11 AM

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

This is mine, painted gray. I've since painted it black. I used speckled cabinet paint (comes in a spray can), it gives the box a little texture and is pretty tough. I wasn't happy with the gray so I sprayed over it with some gloss black.

Some of the chains and stuff rattled a bit, so I bought a thick rubber mat that you stand on and cut out a piece to fit right in the bottom. That has silenced the chain rattle.

msmith (07-22-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you show us what you did to the sub box? That is interesting.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I found this.....

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/how-ma...better-77667/\
Old 07-14-2013, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great idea for storage box, gonna be doing this very soon.

The link above for the foam in sub doesn't work, I am interested in seeing this also.

Thanks for post, great mods!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Essential Mods for the Basic Guy