Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Door Locks

Ford did something REALLY STUPID. If your battery is completely dead, you can't even unlock the door using your key. The only way I could get my truck back was to jack it up and hook my battery charger to the starter cable. Only then I was able to get the door open. Once I had power, the key worked just fine. Ironically, Mr. Ford Engineer, if you have power, you can use the remote or the pad. Have you encountered this yet? How did you get in?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Senior Memeber

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by NLA365
How did you get in?
Why wouldn't you be able to use the key hole, just like the good ole days?

I have had my truck completely dead before and was able to get inside using the key hole.
The following users liked this post:
jreimers62 (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts

I cannot say for sure without pulling my battery to check, but I think even the key mechanism that unlocks the door has gone to an electric actuator. This would be a huge flaw and I look forward to testing it over the weekend.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NLA365
Ford did something REALLY STUPID. If your battery is completely dead, you can't even unlock the door using your key. The only way I could get my truck back was to jack it up and hook my battery charger to the starter cable. Only then I was able to get the door open. Once I had power, the key worked just fine. Ironically, Mr. Ford Engineer, if you have power, you can use the remote or the pad. Have you encountered this yet? How did you get in?
ummmmmmmmm.......... I don't know what to say to this one. You can use the actual key to open the door.

My battery has dead before and I was able to unlock just using the key.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe you guys are talking about different years and the switch was recent.

Listing the year of your truck and Cab model would help clear up confusion like this.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Senior Memeber

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

2011 STX Ext. Cab...

Manual door lock worked just fine w/ dead battery.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:08 AM

Mine is a 2012 SCREW Platinum. If the battery is low enough to click the starter, it has resistance when you try to open it, but it will open. When it was completely dead, it would turn fully either direction, but I promise you could twist the key off and it would not open. The only way to get power to it was by crawling underneath and hooking to starter hot wire. It is not an easy place to connect to.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a loom that came undone on the passenger fuse box and had no power on the truck at all (boost didn't even work)....I figured it out myself but I was able to get in my truck by using my key in the lock. I also have installed or removed door handles in the past and for the life of me I can't figure out why you wouldn't be able to open your door with a key.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 PM

I have worked on vehicles for 50 years and I don't understand why the lock wouldn't work. I've never seen a key lock in a door that wasn't purely mechanical and don't understand why they would have changed that. I live in a small town, and the nearest dealership is about 60 miles away. Next time I'm there I intend to quiz them about this. Apparently it hasn't affected anyone else yet.

Quick Reply: Door Locks