Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detuned??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Default detuned??

I have seen some threads here that say the EB for 2013 has possibly been detuned? any truth to this. I have a 2013 EB crew fx4 with max tow and just looking for the correct answer.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

How could that be? 365hp/411tq is 365hp/411tq anyway you slice it.

I have the same config as your truck.

Now, that said, when Ford was planning on the F150 with the EcoBoost, reports were that they would "uncap" the turbos (as used in the Taurus SHO) and yield 400hp. That didn't happen. Why? Don't know. But I've read where many are getting 400+ with certain tunes that are available these days.

Why do you ask? Are you happy with the way your truck drives? I am...
Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 AM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by gillysmi
I have seen some threads here that say the EB for 2013 has possibly been detuned? any truth to this. I have a 2013 EB crew fx4 with max tow and just looking for the correct answer.

Thanks!
I think you are getting that from a couple of threads. some say they think it is all 2013's and then some that have had the TSB for the limp mode believe that they have be tuned down. they are seeing this through the tubo's PSI boost numbers, at least that is what I have read. I haven't had the TSB done yet so I am not sure. I guess the only way to know is do a search for F150 stock dyno numbers between a 2011, 12 and 13 to see what they are. That is the way you will know for sure providing they haven't changed the tune. You can get some very impressive numbers with a performance tune on the EcoBoost. Another reason many have made this claim is due to the TSB, not only may it call for replacement or upgraded parts it almost always calls for a PCM flash program,,,,, which means a change in the tune somewhere. That doesn't mean worse, it could mean the same or even more power since there are so many perimeters that can be adjusted but I think people may assume it is worse. In case you don't know when you look at dyno numbers they rate the HP at the rear wheel as apposed to Ford or any other company. So Ford says it is 365 hp,,, that means at the flywheel.... on average you take 20 off that number to get RWHP. so a motor that has 365hp would be about 292rwhp! So if you see number below this on the 2013 but around or above this on a 2011 or 2012 then you will know that then tuned down the 2013 ecoboost!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:26 AM

thanks guys for responses. I had read it in a few threads and just wondering if any truth behind it. my EB only 2k miles on it does not seem near as snappy as some I have driven- mainly a truck the dealer let me drive for a couple days when my 11 was in the shop. that thing hauled major *****. mine feels a bit doggier than that one did. could just me be too! lol
Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Somebody posted how to 'reset' the firewire throttle. You'll have to find the post, but essentially turn on the key and push down slowly on the pedal to the floor, then lift quickly - turn off the key. Repeat 2 more times.

Apparently the theory goes that this teaches the computer-controlled throttle the full range.

I'm curious to try this myself when I get the opportunity.

But don't forget that the computers in these trucks are "adaptive", and learn how you drive. If you drive mellow, so will your truck. Try a reset (disconnect the battery for _(?)__ minutes). Someone can chime in...

Also, what gear ratio did that truck have? What does your truck have?

Last edited by STingray1300; 11-06-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:12 AM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by STingray1300
Somebody posted how to 'reset' the firewire throttle. You'll have to find the post, but essentially turn on the key and push down slowly on the pedal to the floor, then lift quickly - turn off the key. Repeat 2 more times.

Apparently the theory goes that this teaches the computer-controlled throttle the full range.

I'm curious to try this myself when I get the opportunity.

But don't forget that the computers in these trucks are "adaptive", and learn how you drive. If you drive mellow, so will your truck. Try a reset (disconnect the battery for _(?)__ minutes). Someone can chime in...

Also, what gear ratio did that truck have? What does your truck have?
that's just setting your throttle for its best response
Old 11-06-2013, 02:31 AM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

You may want to check and see what rear end your truck has, if it is the 3.31 it will not be as snappy as the 3.55 and that will not be as snappy as the 3.73. Being that it is the max tow it should be 3.73.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by blueovelboy
that's just setting your throttle for its best response

Both trucks had/have the 3.73's.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

It could be just as simple as the shifting points? Unless you are talking off the line? The trans has a learning process which means it will shift according to the way you drive. When I got mine I noticed it and did a reset. Also many of us baby the truck until break in and others pound it. so the trans will shift different from one to the next type break ins. This is moot if you are talking off line though!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:32 AM

the big difference I see is off the line and when towing at 70mph passing as I gain speed. just doesn't feel like the power is there. the other thing is my mpg's are bad!

the other day it was calm (flag was not moving) did a little test. I set cruise at 60 on a stretch of road that is flat for about 5 miles. reset the lieometer and for 5 miles I got 14.1. I am wondering if there isn't something else going on here.

Quick Reply: detuned??