Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Issues or New Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Battery Issues or New Battery?

Im hoping its just a recharge or a new battery.
2 Weeks ago my truck was dead from over the weekend. Jump started and investigated. My sub amplifier wasn't turning off so I bought in a new one. Tested and turns off when ever the truck is off.

This weekend I went on a trip from Thursday to Sunday night. Truck sat at home. This morning I went to start the truck and it started slow but turned on. After my short drive, I turned off the truck. Usually SYNC will play music until I open a door but instead it said Turning off to Save battery. Also the battery light was on.

Went to the local Interstate Battery and had the battery tested.
Results are as followed:
Measured 683 CCA
Rated 550 CCA
Temperature 87 F
Voltage 12.36V

Recommendation: Charge the Battery and return to service.

So I went home had the charger on the truck until it fully charged and went on a little test drive.

Fixed. (Hopefully)
SYNC stays on again and no battery light.
Before I am left stranded with a dead battery I want to try to figure out if it was luck from accidental discharge two weeks ago or something else.

When the battery died two weeks ago, I just jumped it and got going. Never recharged to 100% like i did today. Could it be the battery never charged to a good percent? When I hooked up the charger it said the battery was around 60-70% and took about an hour and 15 minutes to charge.

Also the little eyelet on the battery is still red.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm having a similar issue on my '13. I'm thinking I'll probably just get a new battery. I don't see why I would need to charge it, the alternator should be doing that when I'm out driving around I'd think?
Old 04-04-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by admlshake
I'm having a similar issue on my '13. I'm thinking I'll probably just get a new battery. I don't see why I would need to charge it, the alternator should be doing that when I'm out driving around I'd think?
If I understand correctly, alternators won't really really charge a battery completely just keep it topped off and run a vehicle.

So I will update you on how the truck runs. So far so good. Hopefully that was just the problem.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,
Had the same issue a month ago. Battery made it thru the winter no problem. It starts warming up and it goes dead. Each time recharged, held the charge and a few days later it was dead. A ford mechanic told me that it is the battery monitor on the 2013 +. According to him, anytime you disconnect the battery, you have to reset the monitor. There are two ways, the first is a dealer reset, via computer. The other is you reconnect the battery, close up the truck and leave it overnight, or 8 hours. The monitor relearns the battery's power level. If this is not done, the monitor is confused and doesn't activate the alternator. Supposedly a fuel saving device, alternator only engages when power is required. I did this process and it has"t acted up since. Go figure!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by diegoo.jayjay
The "sight glass" on the top of the battery should be green. If it is red, it will need to be replaced.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by dkonnecticut
Hi, The other is you reconnect the battery, close up the truck and leave it overnight, or 8 hours. The monitor relearns the battery's power level. If this is not done, the monitor is confused and doesn't activate the alternator. Supposedly a fuel saving device, alternator only engages when power is required. I did this process and it has"t acted up since. Go figure!
What do you mean close up the truck?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Screwtremor
The "sight glass" on the top of the battery should be green. If it is red, it will need to be replaced.
I thought red meant recharge the battery. Clear meant change the battery? I'll look at the window to see if it changed since being charged
Old 04-04-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you mean close up the truck?
Lock the door, with the fob.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:05 PM

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

There has got to be a way to perm disable this crap.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Im hoping its just a recharge or a new battery.
2 Weeks ago my truck was dead from over the weekend. Jump started and investigated. My sub amplifier wasn't turning off so I bought in a new one. Tested and turns off when ever the truck is off.

This weekend I went on a trip from Thursday to Sunday night. Truck sat at home. This morning I went to start the truck and it started slow but turned on. After my short drive, I turned off the truck. Usually SYNC will play music until I open a door but instead it said Turning off to Save battery. Also the battery light was on.

Went to the local Interstate Battery and had the battery tested.
Results are as followed:
Measured 683 CCA
Rated 550 CCA
Temperature 87 F
Voltage 12.36V

Recommendation: Charge the Battery and return to service.

So I went home had the charger on the truck until it fully charged and went on a little test drive.

Fixed. (Hopefully)
SYNC stays on again and no battery light.
Before I am left stranded with a dead battery I want to try to figure out if it was luck from accidental discharge two weeks ago or something else.

When the battery died two weeks ago, I just jumped it and got going. Never recharged to 100% like i did today. Could it be the battery never charged to a good percent? When I hooked up the charger it said the battery was around 60-70% and took about an hour and 15 minutes to charge.

Replace it, its 3 years old, before you get stuck somewhere!

Quick Reply: Battery Issues or New Battery?