Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballast computer/Motocontrol mounting

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 07:44 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Default Ballast computer/Motocontrol mounting

Hopefully tomorrow will be the day I install my retrofits. I wound up shipping out my parts, and having another member here build my lights, but that's another story.
Where have you guys mounted the ballast computers and the motocontrol unit?
I thought of drilling and mounting into the upper crossmember, on the engine side, but don't think there's enough room for that. So, I'm tossing around mounting them on the front of the crossmember instead. But then, they would be more exposed to the elements while driving.
Photos are very welcome.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

I am about to do the same tomorrow...I still need to aim my projectors so I have a bit more work to do. I am curious about what others have to say on this topic. I forgot what all my wiring even looks like so it should be fun! It will definitely be easier than the canbus wiring harness that my Ram needed. It had two huge resistors on each side that needed to be mounted to metal. It was tough finding space that was hidden for that install. Hopefully this is easier.

In the pic, you can see above the headlight the 2 blue resistors that were needed for driver and passenger side. Luckily there was a ton of room in the engine bay on top but it wasn't as clean of an install. Those things would get hotter than hell!!
Attached Thumbnails Ballast computer/Motocontrol mounting-image-2766945350.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Should be plenty of room behind the lamp housing. I notice how much space when I was installing load resistors for the front turn lamps. My ballasts are in the oem spot on the bottom of the housing so I can't say for sure. The moto relay I mounted to the top front of the radiator support on the passenger side just behind that little rubber flap.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
06F150CFCT (07-03-2016), johnday in BFE (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Should be plenty of room behind the lamp housing. I notice how much space when I was installing load resistors for the front turn lamps. My ballasts are in the oem spot on the bottom of the housing so I can't say for sure. The moto relay I mounted to the top front of the radiator support on the passenger side just behind that little rubber flap. .
Excellent. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2016, 12:30 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

I will try and get a pic, but on my 07 I mounted it on the header panel facing the engine next to the passenger headlight. There is a 2" overhang there and its under that, no possibility really of moisture entering since the tell you how to mount it with the wires facing down out of the box.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by 06F150CFCT

In the pic, you can see above the headlight the 2 blue resistors that were needed for driver and passenger side. Luckily there was a ton of room in the engine bay on top but it wasn't as clean of an install. Those things would get hotter than hell!!
Looks like you were lucky you didn't blister the paint on the hood!

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Should be plenty of room behind the lamp housing. I notice how much space when I was installing load resistors for the front turn lamps. My ballasts are in the oem spot on the bottom of the housing so I can't say for sure. The moto relay I mounted to the top front of the radiator support on the passenger side just behind that little rubber flap.
I was just looking again at that rad support. Maybe I can just use the upper mounting bolt on the passenger side, so I won't have to drill into the metal for the relay. I never noticed before how light that rad support metal is.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Village Sociopath

So this is what I did. First photos are of the ballast mounted above the controller. Thought that was going to work, but the harness from the heads was too short. So, I left the controller where I mounted it, unfastened the ballasts, and as soon as I get some more 3M double sided tape, will be mounting the ballasts on the buckets. All for want of 6" longer harness.
Last photo, finished product. Just have to wait for darkness to adjust the cutoff and aim.
Not sure if I like them or not at this pointe.
Attached Images      
Old 07-03-2016, 04:33 PM

Nice work! They look good....I'm sure you will love them and their output. That is if they are horizontally aimed correctly....can't change that now though.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by 06F150CFCT
Nice work! They look good....I'm sure you will love them and their output. That is if they are horizontally aimed correctly....can't change that now though.
Thanks. From what I could see, they appear to be horizontal. Nope, can't change that now!

Quick Reply: Ballast computer/Motocontrol mounting