Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Headlights on 2013 STX

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Automatic Headlights on 2013 STX

I just bought my first Ford. An F150 STX. After I took possession, I found out that it didn't have automatic headlights. A 33K MSRP vehicle without automatic headlights?

I did a search and found advice on some forum that I could buy the switch and sensor new or used and upgrade it. The post even gave me the part numbers.

Well I did that. I was extremely to switch out the parts. Only problem is that now the lights stay on all the time. I just paid a Ford mechanic on "Just Answer" to help me with the problem. He said it is NOT POSSIBLE to make the automatic headlights work on an STX. Stupid as it may sound, it is programmed not to work even though doing so causes Ford more effort than just using standard programming.

This sounds extra stupid to me but I wanted to want my fellow forum members to be aware. Don't spend the money on switches my STX friends. Ford doesn't want you to have automatic headlights.

With that and my fan running so loud I can't hear inside the cab, I regret my decision to stray from Chevy to Ford.

Mike
Arlington, TX
The following 2 users liked this post by mtilson:
ncmike (01-16-2014), ytsorf0 (06-26-2015)
Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Buy a '10. They work perfectly on my truck. Its nearly common knowledge they don't work correctly if you install on '11+ trucks. Sorry
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by mtilson
I just bought my first Ford. An F150 STX. After I took possession, I found out that it didn't have automatic headlights. A 33K MSRP vehicle without automatic headlights?

I did a search and found advice on some forum that I could buy the switch and sensor new or used and upgrade it. The post even gave me the part numbers.

Well I did that. I was extremely to switch out the parts. Only problem is that now the lights stay on all the time. I just paid a Ford mechanic on "Just Answer" to help me with the problem. He said it is NOT POSSIBLE to make the automatic headlights work on an STX. Stupid as it may sound, it is programmed not to work even though doing so causes Ford more effort than just using standard programming.

This sounds extra stupid to me but I wanted to want my fellow forum members to be aware. Don't spend the money on switches my STX friends. Ford doesn't want you to have automatic headlights.

With that and my fan running so loud I can't hear inside the cab, I regret my decision to stray from Chevy to Ford.

Mike
Arlington, TX
Well it sounds like you're an impulse buyer as this could have all been avoided with a good test drive. When I went to look at mine I touched and turned every **** to make sure it's what I wanted and had the features I wanted, when I test drove I listened to rattles, squeaks, ect to make sure there were none.

I know it can be done because I have them on mine and it is exactly that, swap out switch and add sensor and walla it works. Your problem? You have a newer version where the computer software was changed and it will not work on 11 and up.
The following users liked this post:
Azuri (01-17-2014)
Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 65 and have bought a few cars in my years. My buying style has served me pretty well so far. I made one mistake on this one - but twice. At first when I bought and then I believed it could be updated. Now In hind sight, people tell me - oh, not on an 11 and up.

Ok. The thing is you don't go to forums and seek advice before you know you've got a problem. Gee, what I would give for hind-sight before the fact.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I feel your pain. I bought a '13 STX and read a thread about this "simple" upgrade. I figured why not & ordered the parts. Then after they were ordered & shipped I read a bit more and discovered I was SOL on a 11+. Fawk........
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM
NPC

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Well it sounds like you're an impulse buyer as this could have all been avoided with a good test drive. When I went to look at mine I touched and turned every **** to make sure it's what I wanted and had the features I wanted, when I test drove I listened to rattles, squeaks, ect to make sure there were none.

I know it can be done because I have them on mine and it is exactly that, swap out switch and add sensor and walla it works. Your problem? You have a newer version where the computer software was changed and it will not work on 11 and up.
I don't think that's totally fair. Hard to know every item to look for until after the fact at times. I didn't realize my '13 XLT didn't have DRL's until I read this forum. Then I went back to the dealer and they turned them on for free...thanks to this forum. I felt dumb because I ASSUMED this would be standard. Again, tough to know all the nuances between models and manufacturers.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by NPC

I don't think that's totally fair. Hard to know every item to look for until after the fact at times. I didn't realize my '13 XLT didn't have DRL's until I read this forum. Then I went back to the dealer and they turned them on for free...thanks to this forum. I felt dumb because I ASSUMED this would be standard. Again, tough to know all the nuances between models and manufacturers.
Maybe but the headlight switch is in your face whereas the DRL is an easy miss.

I know I spent a couple months going through all the specs and options between the models so I knew exactly what I was getting.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 PM

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts

The automatic lights are a PITA. Mine has them and when I need them on they never come on, but they come on when I don't need them. I just turn the switch.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by BarryT82
The automatic lights are a PITA. Mine has them and when I need them on they never come on, but they come on when I don't need them. I just turn the switch.
Love mine, work exactly when I need them.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryT82
Move your hat off the sensor on the dash.

Mine work fine as well. On when needed of when not.

Quick Reply: Automatic Headlights on 2013 STX