Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for First Time Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for First Time Owner

Hi All

I've learned a lot from reading through the forums the last few weeks. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2013 XLT Screw Eco with about 250 miles. Love the truck so far but have a few questions:

1.) I was going to get a Line-X bedliner, tonneau cover, wheel well liners, and floor mats. Any thoughts on whichones to get/ which of these is most important?

2.) I've experienced a slight shudder in the brakes when coming to a smooth stop. It happens at less than 5mph but doesn't occur when i brake fairly hard. Has anyone else had this problem?

3.) Any advice regarding engine break-in specifics?

Thanks

Kevin
Old 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruins2013
Hi All

I've learned a lot from reading through the forums the last few weeks. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2013 XLT Screw Eco with about 250 miles. Love the truck so far but have a few questions:

1.) I was going to get a Line-X bedliner, tonneau cover, wheel well liners, and floor mats. Any thoughts on whichones to get/ which of these is most important?

2.) I've experienced a slight shudder in the brakes when coming to a smooth stop. It happens at less than 5mph but doesn't occur when i brake fairly hard. Has anyone else had this problem?

3.) Any advice regarding engine break-in specifics?

Thanks

Kevin
1. Personal preference but I would go with the bedliner & floor mats. Yours didn't come with mats?

2. The first truck I test drove had that shudder when braking and I picked another truck that was exactly the same that didn't have the shudder. Take it in and let them fix this because it should be a minor adjustment...I think!

3. From what I read on here...don't use the cruise control for the first 500-1000 miles. Not sure why but I took the advice. Maybe someone else could explain that one.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

1. Tonneau cover is useless to me in a truck. I buy WeatherTech floor mats for every vehicle I buy.
2. Not had this issue. I'd recommend searching here though.
3. The PCM will adjust fuel trims over time and essentially add a little bit of power. Some say this is in the 5k mileage range. This helps with break-in. I have never followed an "engine break-in procedure" for any vehicle. Just use common sense.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:34 PM

Thanks Doubleg. It came with carpeted mats, not rubber ones. I guess I'll just take it in for the brake issue. Funny thing is I didn't notice it when I test drove it so who knows what changed in the four days in between.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruins2013
Thanks Doubleg. It came with carpeted mats, not rubber ones. I guess I'll just take it in for the brake issue. Funny thing is I didn't notice it when I test drove it so who knows what changed in the four days in between.
Is the shudder on the roll back when you compete the stop?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats on the new truck. Forget the line-x for now and go with the F150 rubber matt from your local ford dealer and while there order the ford wheel well liners. As for a tonneau cover, there are many to choose from, I have a BAK Roll-X and it has worked well for my needs.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:52 PM

No willis, it's a second or two before the stop.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:54 PM
D-H

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I've had Line-X before and highly recommend it. There are many options for a tonneau cover these days, you can find one to fit almost any budget. On my old truck I had the American Work Cover by Truck Covers USA and I loved it. On my current one I'll be getting the American Roll Cover by the same company. There are lots of other roll covers which may be less expensive but I cannot personally speak for their quality.

For floor mats I suggest the weathertech digital fit floorliner. Those will cover most of the carpet in your truck. Husky makes a similaor product I believe. I haven't purchased either myself because my truck has the vinyl floor. Good luck with the new truck.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Line-x first, protect whats there
Floor mats and wheel well liners before winter
tonneau cover when you decide you are hauling stuff you need to keep dry (I like the Truxedo roll up cover)

Not had this problem

3.) Any advice regarding engine break-in specific
Once rings are seated which is after the first 20 minutes of the engine running I don't believe there is any break in. I always do the first oil change in about 1000 miles but thats probably unnecessary as well. Excessive idling is never good.

Ken

Last edited by GTXKen; 08-29-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Doubleg71
3. From what I read on here...don't use the cruise control for the first 500-1000 miles. Not sure why but I took the advice. Maybe someone else could explain that one.
Really? I've been using cruise control since I picked the truck up at the dealer with 167 on the clock. I use it everyday even if I'm only running to 2 miles to the store. Could this be why I'm only seeing 16.6 miles to the gallon?

OP, if you need a set of OEM floor mats let me know. I took mine out the first week I had the truck because I had gotten the all weather mats instead.

Quick Reply: Advice for First Time Owner