Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500 mile thoughts about Continental TerrainContact A/Ts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 12:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 500 mile thoughts about Continental TerrainContact A/Ts

I started reviewing tires several months ago and settled on the Continental TerrainContact A/T for my 2012 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 to replace Wrangler Duratracs. The old ones were my 3rd set of Goodyear tires, but the ride was just not like the 1st two and the noise was really loud at the end. The new tires are about 500 miles in and I love them. Firm hold wet or dry on pavement plus great traction at my work sites (construction, gravel, sand, light mud and grass). The big plus is the sound level. I can actually hear mostly the air around the truck at highway speed. They may get louder as they get older, but such is the nature of A/T tires. Every other set was at the point of not being able to have a conversation in the cab by the time theywere replaced. I really like these and am looking forward to that promised 60k miles. And even if it falls short in mileage, if they will ride like this I would not mind. My set came from www.tirebuyer.com and shipped right to an installer in my town.

The following 2 users liked this post by dburgjohn:
MPETE (01-30-2023), Pussywillow (10-22-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 01:48 PM

Received 267 Likes on 193 Posts

Glad you like your Continentals. I have gone thru a few set of car tires by that brand and had no issues whatsoever.

I recently had to replace a couple of front tires on my old F250 diesel. Got tired of paying $550 a pair for Michelins. Went to the complete other end of the market and paid $110 each for Sailun LT/E tires. They're the only decent Chinese tire on the retail market of any kind. They seem to be doing just fine. Only time will tell.

Hope the Michelins on my 2020 F150 STX last as long as others report.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:47 AM

after a triple digit trip I really feel like this was the perfect choice. I am a tightwad when it comes to spending, but if I had known for sure what a difference this would make, the old tires would have come off sooner.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:53 AM

long coming update: three years in and the tires are still riding and wearing great. There has been no change in operation, grip or noise. These were a good choice. Great tire for long wear and performance.
The following users liked this post:
MPETE (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 10:00 AM

Received 414 Likes on 336 Posts

Speaking of A/T tread noise as wear builds, what's the general "rotation pattern" that most use?

Straight front to rear to front,

or

front straight to rear, rear crossed to front.

edit, I mis-spoke. I was thinking front wheel drive vehicle. My usual way of remembering is " drive wheels roll straight ". So, on my rwd truck, cross fronts to rear, move rears straight to front.

Last edited by jhanna; 01-29-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:17 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,228 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by jhanna
Speaking of A/T tread noise as wear builds, what's the general "rotation pattern" that most use?

Straight front to rear to front,

or

front straight to rear, rear crossed to front.
Actually neither of those. Cross the fronts to the rear and the rear straight to the front. The Reason for that according to my tire guy was to wear the fronts the opposite way levels the tread better and then they are already going the same way when they go on the front. Truthfully I think as long as they are crossed over they fix the tread from uneven wear on the front.
jhanna (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 01:23 PM

Received 2,104 Likes on 1,727 Posts

Always cross one pair each time so they all go to each corner in turn. Doesn't really matter if it's front to back or back to front, as long as you are consistent. I was actually doing a 5 wheel rotation so I could keep an identical spare, and keep them all similar tread depth. Just went in a circle for that.

That is for non-directional tires. My winter tires are directional, so just front to back rotate on those.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spiky:
jhanna (01-29-2023), LNF150 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 01:29 PM

Received 414 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Actually neither of those. Cross the fronts to the rear and the rear straight to the front. The Reason for that according to my tire guy was to wear the fronts the opposite way levels the tread better and then they are already going the same way when they go on the front. Truthfully I think as long as they are crossed over they fix the tread from uneven wear on the front.

Yep, yep, yep. I mis-spoke. I was thinking front wheel drive vehicle. My usual way of remembering is " drive wheels roll straight ". So, on my rwd truck, cross fronts to rear, move rears straight to front.

But, I was wondering if the crossing of any, increased the noise level over time.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:59 PM

this set as well as the previous three I had on this truck have been done cross front to back and back straight to front. I usually do that ever other oil change. The previous tires were Goodyear Dura Tracks. After about 25-30k they started a pattern of roaring louder at about 4k intervals. Rotation would quite them down. Nice that Goodyear designed a self notifying tire to say 'rotate me now'
MPETE (01-30-2023)

Quick Reply: 500 mile thoughts about Continental TerrainContact A/Ts