Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 4L with a wrench and "check 4x4"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 4L with a wrench and "check 4x4"

Bought the truck a week a week ago(108k mi), all worked fine in all modes(2h 4a 4h 4L- just a forward and backward in a dry parking lot for 4L) at the time. 108k miles. Have driven the vehicle on the road in all modes other than 4low since purchase. Had an ice storm and very slippery uphill drive way yesterday so i decided this was a better time/place to test the 4 low. Each time i tried to use 4 low the wrench and message showed up. Ive read several other posts and made sure i was in neutral and tried with foot on the brake and off. Also tried backing up a bit then trying again as well as rolling forward a bit and trying again. No luck.
The wrench only shows up when in 4L mode, none of the others. So, just moments ago I took advantage of my ice coated uphill driveway and put my wife in the drivers seat. Had her put the truck in 4A 4H and 4L. In each mode i had her try and accelerate hard while i watched the front tires, first one side then the other. I get front wheel spin on every mode. When i do it, 4l does not feel like a lower gear ratio was activated, feels no different than 4H front tires still spin, just not a lower gear ratio. I dont hear any noises either except if im trying to make too sharp of a turn in 4x4...like when i took it out of the driveway to turn it around and bring it back in for the tests.
Anyone have any idea of what might need to be done to get this working properly again.
BTW, Im in WNY between Rochester and Buffalo. Looking for someone with Forscan to read my factory door code so i can reset it. No owners manual or code tag...though i am thinking about getting a dongle i can hook to my wifes laptop though im pretty sure she wont be happy with me putting forscan on it!
Old 02-25-2023, 08:38 AM

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

4low issues are usually a shift motor. Do you hear a "clunk" when you move the dial(that would be normal).

I believe the door code is visible if you remove the passenger right foot kick panel. Is on the F150s anyway.
The following users liked this post:
expedal (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 10:00 AM

@NYFordTruckMan No Clunk, No Noise.
For the code, someone else told me that but said it was on the back side of whatever is mounted under the kick panel and difficult to read. Im worried that it becomes one of those losing propostions of discovering more make work...
I have heard there more than one tranny/transfer case in these and that they are ID'd by the mode switch. Mine has 2H 4A 4H 4L...

Last edited by expedal; 02-25-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by expedal
@NYFordTruckMan No Clunk, No Noise.
For the code, someone else told me that but said it was on the back side of whatever is mounted under the kick panel and difficult to read. Im worried that it becomes one of those losing propostions of discovering more make work...
I have heard there more than one tranny/transfer case in these and that they are ID'd by the mode switch. Mine has 2H 4A 4H 4L...
Haha if you were closer to the Capital District I would scan it. Probably a good idea to get an adapter if you have the truck, they are not expensive. It will also read your trouble codes for 4wd.

You have the TOD /Torque on Demand Xfer case. Not available on F150 till 2012. It could be the shift motor or wiring that goes to it. That was the only option for the Expeditions. F150s (like mine) had different options, even till this day (e.g. only 4hi/lo so you can only use it in a snowstorm and not on dry pavement).
expedal (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 01:19 PM

I have an expedition not an F150. Im also on an exped forum but most answers there go like this: "i would just take it in for service".
Sort of like my Buick...I actually get more informed fix answers on the impala forum.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:28 PM

I have an expedition not an F150. Im also on an exped forum but most answers there go like this: "i would just take it in for service".
Sort of like my Buick...I actually get more informed fix answers on the impala forum.
Some forums are like that, we get our hands dirty!
The Exped is pretty much an F150 with Independent suspension and a topper in the back, and the leftover supply of 5.4 3V engines and the older nav system.

It's probably a shift motor. Some have luck taking it apart and refurbishing it. The computer commands the motor to turn, and there are pads that complete a circuit so it knows how far it moved. If it is never used, the pads can become non conductive or the motor could seize.
expedal (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 01:51 PM

When we get nicer weather ill get under it and take it off (cuz it wont fit in the brother in laws shop -its the el). We will check the connections and see what we can do to it and if it still doesnt work, replace it and see if that does the job. I Have a Base model with out all the fancy stuff, cant even bluetooth the phone. What i really wish i had was a backup sensor like my buddys f150 has.. This is not like my old 2002 2wd exped.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:30 PM

When we get nicer weather ill get under it and take it off (cuz it wont fit in the brother in laws shop -its the el). We will check the connections and see what we can do to it and if it still doesnt work, replace it and see if that does the job. I Have a Base model with out all the fancy stuff, cant even bluetooth the phone. What i really wish i had was a backup sensor like my buddys f150 has.. This is not like my old 2002 2wd exped.
You could add a basic 7 or 8" android stereo with lots of features.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:33 PM

An expedition EL is 221 inches long. My SuperCrew with 5.5 bed is 232. Can fit in my garage but tight.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:53 PM

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Yeah, that must be a small shop.

Quick Reply: 2011 4L with a wrench and "check 4x4"