Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 rear view camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 rear view camera

I was hoping the someone on here might have some insight on the rear view camera. If my truck does not have it can I have it installed down the road buy the dealer, or can I install it, and does the dealer need to tell the computer it is there and to turn it on? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 PM

to be honest with you if you want to go factory it will definitely cost some money. you might want to consider aftermarket.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 PM

I am not sure if I am going to install one at all but I am curious. If the wiring is run like Ford has done in the past with wiring for options then I might put it in, I get parts for cost through an independent shop, and I did order the nav system so the monitor is there. The extra cost with having to get the camera as a package was not worth it to me when I can get an aftermarket system that works great for a lot cheaper. But I am curious if the wiring is there, and what needs to be done to turn it on.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 AM

Question Ford badge tailgate camera wiring diagram

I am starting my own backup camera project. I need the wiring for the 09 ford tailgate camera connector (Ebay purchase). Does anyone have a wiring diagram manual for this six pin connector or have the color codes for the wires? I plan on hooking it up with a Gentex 50-GENK242. I assume there is +12v, ±video, maybe ground and a turn-on wire to make 5 wires or is it just 4 like in the diagram below?

Last edited by markhas; 05-07-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I know you can add aftermarket rear camera. I plan to install an aftermarket head unit and add a rear camera to mine.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markhas
I am starting my own backup camera project. I need the wiring for the 09 ford tailgate camera connector (Ebay purchase). Does anyone have a wiring diagram manual for this six pin connector or have the color codes for the wires? I plan on hooking it up with a Gentex 50-GENK242. I assume there is +12v, ±video, maybe ground and a turn-on wire to make 5 wires or is it just 4 like in the diagram below?

I am planning the same thing. Keep me informed with updates. I'm hoping that most of the wiring is already in place.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i took a look at the truck and noticed a couple of things.

1) the wiring to the rear of the truck may not include camera cables.
2) the rear view mirror w/ lcd display will need to be the one with, auto dimming and a microphone for the bluetooth.

I think that I may just install the emblem camera and use a separate display in/on the dash. Now I just have to figure out if the emblem camera has standard video connections.....???
Old 05-10-2009, 03:34 PM

Please keep us up to date on anything you learn, I am waiting for my badge camera to get here, once I do, I think I am going to go the same route with a separate display, just to simplify things a bit. I am posting the little bit of information that I know at this point in this post. The info cam from this link with a few diagrams, but no wiring diagram.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...eceived-answer

Video Camera

View Full Image

Item Part Number Description
1 - Video camera screws (2 required)
2 19G490 Video camera
3 - Ford oval emblem and bezel
4 - Ford oval emblem bezel bolts (2 required)
Removal and Installation
NOTE: The Ford oval emblem must be replaced, as the tabs break during removal.
Remove the Ford oval emblem by carefully prying the emblem away from the emblem bezel with a suitable pry tool.
Remove the 2 emblem bezel bolts.
NOTE: The video camera electrical connector is located underneath the vehicle rear bumper and between the spare tire. There is no need to remove the tailgate access panel in the removal of the video camera.
Disconnect the electrical connector.
Remove the video camera and emblem bezel from the tailgate.
Remove the 2 video camera screws.
Remove the video camera.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:39 AM

The Gentex rear view mirror (50-GENK242) I am using does not have the sync/nav voice microphone, but I can add that separately. I will not be using the stock 2009 wiring harness which runs all the way from the tailgate to the camera (harness #14405). I am using the 9L3T-19G490-BG Ford logo camera which has a 6 pin connector (with only 4 wires used) along with the Gentex mirror harness. The female 6-pin connector part# for the camera connection is WPT758 (or 3U2Z-14S411-FEAA). I will need the corresponding male pigtail connector for this to wire it up to the Gentex cable. I have not been able to find the wiring info yet for the picture shown in my post for pins 1, 2, 4 and 6. I do know that they are +12v, + and - video and ground and according to the stock main harness the wire color codes are Grey +12v, Brown Video+, Brown/Yellow Video-, and black for the ground. This however does not help me with the camera harness since the wires are covered.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:43 AM
2009 4x2 5.4 XLT Screw

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My current path seem to be the 50-GENK242 or 50-GENK352 as well. Adding a separate mic for the Sync shouldn't be a problem.

I'm considering hacking the mic off my stock mirror and adding it to the new mirror.

Quick Reply: 09 rear view camera