Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Speaker install question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 08:26 PM
Tomz.abpg

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Speaker install issues, distortion

On my 2020 f150 I installed new component speakers but I think I messed something up. I used a plug and play harness that made it pretty easy but my jl audio c1 woofers are distorting pretty bad when the volume gets up to my normal listening level, which is pretty high, but the stock speakers handled it fine. Tweeters sound perfect. I used an adapter to plug into the original speaker plug in the door panel that goes straight to the woofer. BUT I ran it behind the speaker mount plate and somewhat pinched between the body And the plastic speaker mount. Maybe this is what’s wrong? Otherwise I can’t help but think somehow these speakers are just worse than stock somehow. They are powered by a kicker cxa360.4. Going to be tearing the panels back down Monday because it just sounds awful. These woofers get 100hz and up signal as the tweeters just have an in-line filter instead of your normal external crossover. Higher end speakers aren’t in the budget for now unfortunately

Last edited by Blake Toms; 10-23-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:16 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Are you playing your midbass full range? Meaning no lowpass crossover set on your amp? A midbass is not a full range speaker and will distort at higher frequencies because it is not designed to play higher frequencies.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:41 PM
Tomz.abpg

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
Are you playing your midbass full range? Meaning no lowpass crossover set on your amp? A midbass is not a full range speaker and will distort at higher frequencies because it is not designed to play higher frequencies.
i have just a hpf set at 100hz to keep the super low stuff out, don’t have an option to cut any highs on my amp
Old 10-24-2020, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Toms
i have just a hpf set at 100hz to keep the super low stuff out, don’t have an option to cut any highs on my amp
Sounds like something is wrong with the signal being sent your door speakers. If you haven't already, disconnect the tweeters and play the same songs and see if you can hear the distortion. Also, double check that each speaker has the correct polarity.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:38 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,301 Likes on 905 Posts

Do not pinch any wires ever. Make certain none of the wires got damaged.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:53 PM

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Did you use the metra speaker adapters to connect to the ford wiring? Someone else a bit a go had a similar issue and it was those that were causing it.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:38 PM
Tomz.abpg

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl
Did you use the metra speaker adapters to connect to the ford wiring? Someone else a bit a go had a similar issue and it was those that were causing it.
Yes I did! Actually an update, I bought some c3 series from my local shop and they sound just as bad....maybe I’ll go ahead and cut the factory plugs as much as I hate too, I’m so baffled by all of this, went thru the wiring three times already and this is about the only thing left.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:39 PM
Tomz.abpg

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
Do not pinch any wires ever. Make certain none of the wires got damaged.
I checked, no damage at all. Installed c3 series today, same result. Distorting sooner than the stock speakers literally. Gains are perfect. Losing this battle

Old 10-28-2020, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Toms
I checked, no damage at all. Installed c3 series today, same result. Distorting sooner than the stock speakers literally. Gains are perfect. Losing this battle
Where are you located?
Old 10-28-2020, 10:26 PM
Tomz.abpg

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
Where are you located?
Louisiana

Quick Reply: Speaker install question