Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sony Amp, Sub and Speaker replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Sony Amp, Sub and Speaker replacement?

I'm sure this has been asked before but really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.
I've built several custom systems for various vehicles over the years but this is my first one with the Ford Sony system

Is there a way to bypass the sony amp with an aftermarket and still retain the factory fader, balance, chimes, alerts etc?

Factory system is '15 F150 with Sync 2 MyFordTouch Sony audio (w/factory sub).

Trying to upgrade the audio with replacement aftermarket speakers and subs and retain the factory convenience features (balance/fade/treble/base/door chimes/nav voice/etc) in the MyFordTouch.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
MZE

Last edited by mzegeek; 02-24-2018 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Previous post too long
Old 02-24-2018, 10:01 PM

Bump for edit.
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Take a look at PAC Audio and their AP4- FD21.

From what I can tell, it fits what you're looking for. I wish I could say that I have experience with it, but I have not installed any stereo upgrades just yet.

Mickey
Old 02-25-2018, 01:15 AM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Rockford DSR1 is a good option that allows you to completely eliminate the sony amp, sub, and dsp. Unfortunately its still new and there are a ton of bugs.

In regards to PAC AmpPro, this is another good option. This unit does have all of the bugs worked out BUT you will have leave your Sony amp and dsp behind the rear seat for it to work. ALSO, you chimes and alerts will stop working unless you install a standalone dash speaker connected to the factory amp.

In my opinion, the DSR1 is the way to go. I have one and it makes installation of an amp seamless. You do not cut or solder a single wire. It has a factory integration harness. But, you are just going to need patience until Rockford and their partner Maestro get this thing sorted out.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3704

forscan can make your ACM output variable low level, just like an aftermarket amp!
You can even remove the factory Sony amp using this method.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:12 PM

Thanks that PAC piece looks interesting

Will keep an eye on the Fosgate piece also.

I read through the thread on g2fusions. Do you know if we still retain the fader, bass/treble and the chimes/alerts after the forscan mod? I can't seem to cipher if it does or not from the thread.

Mze
Old 02-25-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mzegeek
Thanks that PAC piece looks interesting

Will keep an eye on the Fosgate piece also.

I read through the thread on g2fusions. Do you know if we still retain the fader, bass/treble and the chimes/alerts after the forscan mod? I can't seem to cipher if it does or not from the thread.

Mze
It should, however you need to add two wires from the APIM to ACM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:55 AM

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
Rockford DSR1 is a good option that allows you to completely eliminate the sony amp, sub, and dsp. Unfortunately its still new and there are a ton of bugs.

In regards to PAC AmpPro, this is another good option. This unit does have all of the bugs worked out BUT you will have leave your Sony amp and dsp behind the rear seat for it to work. ALSO, you chimes and alerts will stop working unless you install a standalone dash speaker connected to the factory amp.

In my opinion, the DSR1 is the way to go. I have one and it makes installation of an amp seamless. You do not cut or solder a single wire. It has a factory integration harness. But, you are just going to need patience until Rockford and their partner Maestro get this thing sorted out.
What bugs are you seeing with the DSR1? This is the way I want to go but am hesitant as I've seen this comment a few times already.

Quick Reply: Sony Amp, Sub and Speaker replacement?