Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Under seat sub option?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Under seat sub option?

Ok, I’m going to preface my question with a statement.

I know how stupid this sounds but damnit, if it could work, I want to try it.

Question time. I want a very small subwoofer for inside my truck. I have a 2004 Supercrew and I know there’s two good easily installed options for under the rear seat (OE sub (kinda hard to find), Hideaway and Soundstage). But, I value my under seat storage space so.... I have this little tiny 4” amplified subwoofer (that sounds amazing in the House) from my Altec Lansing computer speakers that I used to use solely for connecting to my phone before going Bluetooth. I have a small power inverter under the seat. Could I- in theory, take that small sub, put it under the seat, and tap the AUX cable connection to it into my speaker on the right rear door for the audio signal?

Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Could you get it to work? Probably though I imagine wiring it in and balancing it would be more complicated than you are thinking.

Worth it? Doubt it. Been a while since I have seen a 2004 but wouldn't it be possible to fit at least an 8'' hideaway behind the seat rather than under it? That would be better than what you are describing.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

Unfortunately for us 11th gen guys, Ford didn’t leave any room behind the seat like the 12 gens and newer.

I can’t say i *wont* try it, but I don’t expect magical results. I’m simply seeking info on why it could pose problems or not work before I try.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:37 PM

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Not a lot of power....what sounds ok in your house doesn't necessarily translate to the cabin of your truck...and I am not sure how you'd wire the amp or if it would even be a good idea to try with an amp not meant for an automotive environment in the first place... again, not saying it can't be done, but even if you do figure out out I can't imagine it being much benefit, and it might make things sound worse.

On the Nissan Titans (I had a 2004 Titan years ago) the factory sub was under the front drivers seat and there were several folks, myself included, who replaced it via building new small boxes to fit an decent aftermarket 8'' sub under there - maybe that is an option? If there's room under the driver/passenger seat in your F-150. It won't be a large box obviously but you can get decent sound out of it, at least we did with the Titan, use it with a small amp (one meant for cars, not the thing you have) and wire it up, hook off the rear speaker channel, that could work.

If a small sub does fit under there I am certain someone has already done it so search around perhaps?
Old 03-06-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenn
Ok, I’m going to preface my question with a statement.

I know how stupid this sounds but damnit, if it could work, I want to try it.

Question time. I want a very small subwoofer for inside my truck. I have a 2004 Supercrew and I know there’s two good easily installed options for under the rear seat (OE sub (kinda hard to find), Hideaway and Soundstage). But, I value my under seat storage space so.... I have this little tiny 4” amplified subwoofer (that sounds amazing in the House) from my Altec Lansing computer speakers that I used to use solely for connecting to my phone before going Bluetooth. I have a small power inverter under the seat. Could I- in theory, take that small sub, put it under the seat, and tap the AUX cable connection to it into my speaker on the right rear door for the audio signal?

Thoughts?
I would find an amplified 6" sub for your truck. That would be as small as I would go. If a 4" will fit I bet a 6" will fit.

Quick Reply: Under seat sub option?