General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where's my noise coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where's my noise coming from?

I own an '01 f150 4X4 and about 2 weeks ago it started chirp(sounds just like brake chirp). It only makes the noise when the truck is in gear and moving(forward or reverse). The noise sounds just like brakes but when you goose the throttle, the squeak becomes more rapid, then returns to normal. I know it is not brakes(checked em), and I did not notice anything wrong with my wheel bearings, U-joints, or rear diff.

Any help would be a true life saver. It is my daily driver and I cannot afford to have her out of commission.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:13 PM

Anti-sway bar bushings can chirp. Push down on one corner of the vehicle and try to make it bounce. Hear any noise ? Repeat at each corner. Hey, it's worth a try. Good luck to you.

worm
Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Does that year have a 2 piece driveshaft? If so, check the center support bearing. Also check the accessories (alt,ac,etc.), could be bearings in one of those. Just a few ideas for ya'.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the replys. Most of the bushings in my truck have seen there better days but that is not the noise. The noise I am hearing is a rotational noise. I am going to check all my acc. tomorrow. As for the driveshaft I cannot speak for all trucks manufactured that year, but mine is a 1 piece.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:49 PM

just checked my belt and pulleys and they are fine.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:33 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck! I had a pesky "rotational" squeak that only just recently got figured out. You can read my thread about what the issue was about here: https://www.f150forum.com/f10/finally-figured-out-noise-9246/

Also, the trucks that had a center support bearing, or carrier bearing, were the extracab longbeds and crewcabs. The driveshaft was getting too long, so they pieced it out so the angles wouldn't be so bad.

Quick Reply: where's my noise coming from?