General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB cable routing for Android Auto 2017 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB cable routing for Android Auto 2017 Lariat

Just wondering if anyone has done any creative USB cable routing to enable connecting a smartphone to the USB port in the center console cubby. I use Android Auto which requires that the smartphone be connected to one of those USB ports, and since I still like to have the phone accessible, that requires routing the cord out the top of the cubby, preventing the lid from closing completely and causes the USB cord to be pinched. I'm thinking of drilling a few holes in inconspicuous areas to route the cable out the side/underside of the center console so the cubby lid can be completely closed. Just wondering if anyone has already done something like this and might want to share some ideas.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too hate this. Wish they would have put the usb hub in the center counsel.
The following users liked this post:
Tmay66 (03-12-2023)
Old 10-17-2017, 12:05 AM

That certainly would have made a lot more sense. But since they didn't do that...
Old 10-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Coad
Just wondering if anyone has done any creative USB cable routing to enable connecting a smartphone to the USB port in the center console cubby. I use Android Auto which requires that the smartphone be connected to one of those USB ports, and since I still like to have the phone accessible, that requires routing the cord out the top of the cubby, preventing the lid from closing completely and causes the USB cord to be pinched. I'm thinking of drilling a few holes in inconspicuous areas to route the cable out the side/underside of the center console so the cubby lid can be completely closed. Just wondering if anyone has already done something like this and might want to share some ideas.
http://hwww.f150forum.com/f118/charg...p-pics-353275/
Old 10-17-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacksonlee
I too hate this. Wish they would have put the usb hub in the center counsel.
I like it where it is, a good place to stash a hard drive. And yes, my phone cable is routed outside through the cubby.
The following users liked this post:
Ts01 (12-12-2019)
Old 10-18-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by MikeMcM1956
I like it where it is, a good place to stash a hard drive. And yes, my phone cable is routed outside through the cubby.
Could you please post a pic of where you have the charging cable exiting on the outside of the console? I am thinking that this is the route that I am going to go as I like to keep my phone on a magnet holder that clips onto the air vent to the right of the steering wheel.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Coad
Could you please post a pic of where you have the charging cable exiting on the outside of the console? I am thinking that this is the route that I am going to go as I like to keep my phone on a magnet holder that clips onto the air vent to the right of the steering wheel.
Sounds like my setup, but my magnetic mount is just above the air vent. I routed my wires like Mike, but you can see where my cord exits. When not in use, I just lay on that thin shelf on the side of the console. The center console cover takes 1 minute to remove...no tools necessary.

If you want other ideas....there is a HUGE thread in 15+ F150 section. I'll see if I can locate it for you, there are lots of great ideas in it.

Last edited by Kingofwylietx; 10-18-2017 at 12:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kingofwylietx:
Greg Coad (10-18-2017), Ts01 (12-12-2019)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:40 PM

Here ya go!!

Lots of pics and ideas in here. Check it out, you'll see something that you like.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/charg...p-pics-353275/

Old 10-18-2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
Sounds like my setup, but my magnetic mount is just above the air vent. I routed my wires like Mike, but you can see where my cord exits. When not in use, I just lay on that thin shelf on the side of the console. The center console cover takes 1 minute to remove...no tools necessary.

If you want other ideas....there is a HUGE thread in 15+ F150 section. I'll see if I can locate it for you, there are lots of great ideas in it.

I did see that other thread which is quite helpful. I was thinking I would have the cable come out in that same spot. Just wasn't sure if the route to get there would have things in the way that I wouldn't be comfortable cutting/drilling. Thanks for the tips.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:16 PM

Nope, nothing is in the way. If needed, I can snap a close-up of where mine exits.