General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Rebuild or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Shock Rebuild or Replace?

I'm shopping for aftermarket shocks and noticed that Fox recommends rebuilding their shocks after 50,000 of road use and 500 miles of offload use. http://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=offroad

I have had my last two trucks for 100,000+ so this seems like something I should pay attention to as that's 2 potential rebuilds before I sell her. In the past I have replaced my factory shocks with OEM shocks or at the most upgraded to Bilsteins but aftermarket coil overs are >$1,000+, for all four, so I don't see myself throwing them away after 50k miles.

I called several local 4x4 shops and they have "never" rebuilt a shock. I called and emailed distributors of Fox, Icon, Boss and King; all of which declined to comment or said I could take off the strut and mail it in for a rebuild. That seems like an easy (F.U). answer considering the down time and cost.

Now here's the question... Does anyone actually pay attention to this? If you have rebuilt your shocks, how much did it cost and did you mail them in our do it locally?

Last edited by Phaedrus; 07-16-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default shock rebuilds

I used to work for a snowmobile shock rebuilding shop. We did lots of Fox's. After 5,000 miles they were toast but these lead a very harsh life. I will bet after 20K ANY shock fluid in ANY car or truck looks like crap. But most shocks, as you know, are sealed so there is really no way to know. Shocks go "bad" so slowly you will never feel it.

In the end I would take the money for rebuilding and buy new non-rebuildable shocks. New cheap oil is better than old good oil. Most places don't rebuild shocks because shock service and shock tuning is skill very very few have mastered - and the high pressure scares 'em! If you race or have a special off road setup then maybe the expense is worth it, only you can judge.

JK
Old 07-17-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The coil overs are front only, regular old shocks in back.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:26 PM

So that's one reply that say replace used shocks which is the obvious choice, I agree. From what I can tell though, no one is doing that when they buy aftermarket coil overs. I would like to talk to the guy they Buys a new set of fox 2.5's ever 500-50,000 miles.

That only leaves three possibilities; people sell the truck before it needs new shocks, they let the shocks go to , or they rebuild.

Since I originally started this thread I have become obsessed and called 4x4 shops across Colorado and in adjoining states. I have only found one shop that claims to have rebuilt any aftermarket shock and it was located in Moab.

My normal conversation with 4x4 shops goes like this:
Me: Hi i'm interested in Fox (Icon, Boss, King) coil overs and I have a few questions.
4x4: Sure, what can I help you with?
Me: Which ones do you install?
4x4: We install (pick one)
Me: Have you installed a lot of them?
4x4: Yes, we install them all the time.
Me: Do you rebuild them?
4x4: What?
Me: Their webpages say they need rebuilt at 50,000 miles, do you rebuild them?
4x4: I guess we could.
Me: So you don't normally do rebuilds.
4x4: No, we don't.

I guess that answers the question about rebuilding which leaves only two possibilities remaining.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Way back in my early days of wrenching we used to rebuild struts, if you want to call cutting open the top, draining the oil, removing the piston and seals and dropping in a new un-buildable cartridge insert then screwing an end cap on to hold the new insert (inside of original strut was threaded) rebuilding.

These days it's cost prohibitive to rebuild, cheaper to just replace when you consider labor costs.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This could go either way. If you have expensive enough shocks, then yes, defenitly get them rebuilt. In that situation, it will be more cost effective to have them rebuilt.
Now, if you have a cheaper set, then it's probably a better idea to toss them rather than spend more than 3/4 of what they're worth to ship them off to get them rebuilt.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 AM

Does anyone that runs aftermarket coil overs (Specifically: Fox, Boss, Icon, King, $$$$$) want to weigh in here?

Do you sell your truck before 50,000 miles?
Do you install them and not worry about it? (If so how many miles have you put on)
Old 08-10-2015, 10:27 PM

Does anyone that runs aftermarket coil overs (Specifically: Fox, Boss, Icon, King, $$$$$) want to weigh in here?

Do you install them and not worry about it? (If so how many miles have you put on)
Old 09-13-2015, 12:35 PM

Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

I am really surprised no one has gotten back to you on this thread. Maybe post it in a different section? I have fox coilovers and am wondering the same thing.

Quick Reply: Shock Rebuild or Replace?