General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pinion bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pinion bearings?

hi, i have a 96 f150, 351 4x4 ext cab. I have a pinion seal leak and there's a wicked humming noise comeing from the rear end. It's made the noise whenever there's a load on teh drive shaft, and it stops when i let my foot off the gas and coast but it does it in any gear, speed, or rpm and it's done it for a very long time. the leak is new however. I figured it's the bearings. i took off the drive shaft and the pinion moved around alot so i figured i'd get the parts and do it all at the same time. is there any pointers anyone can give me to change the bearings, like any special tools i def need to have or things to watch for. there's no way i can afford a shop so i have to do what i can. i'm pretty good with tools but haven't messed with a rearend yet and know theres alot that i could mess up and i'm goin in blind. any advice would be helpful. thanks alot.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Would like to help but its been to many years. Some general thoughts to consider. I believe your axle is called an integral rear end. Which is good because then you don't have to worry about the proper preload on the pinion bearings. Yours uses shims. Keep all shims separated, do not mix them up. Other than that its nuts and bolts. Also the carrier caps are not interchangeable, suggest marking them up and dowm, and left and right.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I would think the gears will be worn also. Probably should get one from the junkyard, but if you want to practice, go ahead and work on yours.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:12 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I would go ahead and do all the bearings while you have the pinion out. I mean you already will have the axles pulled and the carrier out. Yes the noise you are hearing is Pinion bearing noise. I am willing to bet its the front pinion bearing.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thanx

awsome guys, thanks for the advice, i'm def gonna replace all the bearings since i'll have it apart and already have everything, if the noise continues i might just get another rear end.

Quick Reply: pinion bearings?