Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Disappointing Vehicle in Terms of Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Most Disappointing Vehicle in Terms of Quality

Hey all,

I'm just curious how many out there are in the same boat as me when it comes to how they feel about their truck. This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned in terms of quality and I am having a hard time believing I should stick with the brand going forward. To date, I have had the following issues with the truck:

- Both front hub assemblies and actuators replaced (about 5K miles apart from each other)
- Passenger-side turbo replaced
- Driver-side manifold replaced
- Steering column bearing replaced
- Passenger-side tow mirror replaced

...and now, the truck is doing the good ol' limp mode deal which I am suspecting, from everything I've read on these forums, will be a replacement of my throttle body assembly (on top of the infamous sun roof rattle that has now developed). I have been a Ford guy since I started driving - this is my 8th Ford vehicle and the second vehicle I've begun to see serious quality concerns about. The other was our 2013 Explorer Sport which was the first Ford I'd owned which required multiple service visits for problems. Now with this F150, I've about had it. I have been a major advocate for the brand with friends and strangers up to this point, but can no longer in good conscience recommend anybody buy an F150 with what I've experienced over the last 3 years and 50K miles. I take meticulous care of this thing, doing everything recommended and then some and this is still the case with the truck. The sad thing is the truck is beautiful and wildly capable and a blast to drive and does everything I ask of it - the quality though leaves SO much to be desired. Is anybody starting to feel this way about theirs?

Last edited by CR2184; 07-13-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Right there with you! While I haven't had any engine issues (YET), I have had nothing but problems with the drive train and a few other components. Mid August I am hoping that the 18 Plat I ordered cames in, and fingers crossed it will be trouble free. If Not, C'Ya Ford.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2016 xlt sport 5.0... 42k miles and havent had any issues with it other that the driver door latch freezing. Hope recently ordering an ecoboost doesnt turn out to be a mistake... could have went with another brand, bit I hate rust with a passion and stuck with a f-150 for the aluminum body.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, thanks for reminding me, yes, my door latches were also frozen for the majority of the winter because the dealer couldn't replicate it at lower elevations and warmer temperatures. It wasn't until the recall was issued they would actually correct the problem.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by CR2184
Hey all,

I'm just curious how many out there are in the same boat as me when it comes to how they feel about their truck. This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned in terms of quality and I am having a hard time believing I should stick with the brand going forward. To date, I have had the following issues with the truck:

- Both front hub assemblies and actuators replaced (about 5K miles apart from each other)
- Passenger-side turbo replaced
- Driver-side manifold replaced
- Steering column bearing replaced
- Passenger-side tow mirror replaced

...and now, the truck is doing the good ol' limp mode deal which I am suspecting, from everything I've read on these forums, will be a replacement of my throttle body assembly (on top of the infamous sun roof rattle that has now developed). I have been a Ford guy since I started driving - this is my 8th Ford vehicle and the second vehicle I've begun to see serious quality concerns about. The other was our 2013 Explorer Sport which was the first Ford I'd owned which required multiple service visits for problems. Now with this F150, I've about had it. I have been a major advocate for the brand with friends and strangers up to this point, but can no longer in good conscience recommend anybody buy an F150 with what I've experienced over the last 3 years and 50K miles. I take meticulous care of this thing, doing everything recommended and then some and this is still the case with the truck. The sad thing is the truck is beautiful and wildly capable and a blast to drive and does everything I ask of it - the quality though leaves SO much to be desired. Is anybody starting to feel this way about theirs?

Damn sounds like they assembled your truck using some stuff out of the QC rejected parts bin lol. Sure is a lot of hassle for a new truck. My quality opinion deals more with the dealer service side, ie putting in the effort for the fight.

For example, I have that transmission groan. Nothing specific brings it on but was fortunate enough to catch and verify it as I got out of the truck and grabbed the trans lines which were vibrating their *** off.
Next have some kind of groan (comes from bov area?) drivers side, that sounds like a buffalo getting raped. Again, no event brings on that is identifiable. Recently developed something in the driveling where it doesn't feel solid taking off the line ie a delay and grab almost like a bad u or slip yoke deal.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

My biggest gripe is the marginal/poor quality leather used in the seats. The following vehicles have had early materials breakdown in the seats.
05 - F150
10 - Exped.
11 - F350
So far the '13 F150 and '13 Edge are doing good.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:44 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Guess I should be grateful my experience with all my F trucks have been the opposite of yours.

Sometimes it's best to just move on and try another brand.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear about these issues.

My 17' lariat 3.5 eco, now 13 months old, has had zero issues. knock on wood.
My 07' however, with the triton engine. HATE that engine.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You don't say what year or how many miles you have on your truck or whether you drive a lot offroad? but that is hard to believe. Maybe you got one of the trucks from the TV shoots- rode hard and put up wet or maybe a truck built Friday afternoon about 4:45. was this within warranty

I have a 2016 with 46K miles and have had no problems. I traded out of a 2007 Silverado with almost 200K miles that the suspension/ride was horrible on from day 1 and that burned oil from 30K miles which GM said was "normal". The torque management made it gutless too. Didn't really have any mechanical problems with it otherwise, but the refilling oil every 800 miles was a deal breaker for me. Burning that much oil I couldn't trust it not to lay down on me somewhere out in the boonies. I'm sure they fixed a lot of that with the remodel in 2014 or whatever, but don't give me a (crap) sandwhich and tell me its roast beef. Side note: my bosses 10 speed denali transmission has been out 3 times in 50K miles. But overall I believe the trucks are all pretty comparable (except Ram- sorry coudn't resist- my coworker just told me that they had to get rid of thiers before it 100K miles and was junk LOL) whatever floats your boat.

So far I love my '16 F150. Ride is incredible, great engine, great mpg, sync is the bomb. Went with the 5.0 for simplicity sake and because I keep mine forever. I bought the extended warranty since it was a new model which I never do.If it last anywhere near as long I may keep it forever.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

'13 ecoboost with ~20,000 miles (yes, 20,000 miles). Absolutely zero issues with it so far. Fingers crossed, because the warranty is looong expired.

Quick Reply: Most Disappointing Vehicle in Terms of Quality