General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Gear Too Far?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A Gear Too Far?

Some observations: Have read many, many comments from people experiencing misfires (often cyl 1 and 6), shudders and even shaking with the Ecoboost, and even the 5.0L, under certain conditions. Seems like it's when putting it under a quick load, such as passing; or another experienced that when driving steady at ~55, up a steap hill. The rev limiter was typically a suspect, especially when the AT was in 6th, and may have dropped to 4th, or at least, was hunting. Often the problem is cleared when the driver pulls over to stop the engine, then restarts. (~Microsoft Windows)

Looks like frequently common thread is the 6th gear. Heads are scratched as people look to fx the engine. Is it possible it's not the engine(s), but the transmission? Might it be that the engine is responding to an external stress exactly as it's supposed to?

As my FX4, EB, S/C Max tow is due to be born tomorrow, perhaps you can understand my question?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Hard to Say. I have roughly 15k on mine, and have never had that happen.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly what I was hoping to hear!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kepcv6871
Some observations: Have read many, many comments from people experiencing misfires (often cyl 1 and 6), shudders and even shaking with the Ecoboost, and even the 5.0L, under certain conditions. Seems like it's when putting it under a quick load, such as passing; or another experienced that when driving steady at ~55, up a steap hill. The rev limiter was typically a suspect, especially when the AT was in 6th, and may have dropped to 4th, or at least, was hunting. Often the problem is cleared when the driver pulls over to stop the engine, then restarts. (~Microsoft Windows)

Looks like frequently common thread is the 6th gear. Heads are scratched as people look to fx the engine. Is it possible it's not the engine(s), but the transmission? Might it be that the engine is responding to an external stress exactly as it's supposed to?

As my FX4, EB, S/C Max tow is due to be born tomorrow, perhaps you can understand my question?
I was having an intermittent stumble at speed and the vehicle never threw any codes.

The problem ended up being bad ignition wires from the factory.

Seems one was broken inside the insulation and as everything heated up the wire would fault, not sparking the plug.

As far as the computer was concerned, everything was working within parameters.

The electric pulse was sent to the spark-plug, the injector functioned correctly but the fuel didn't burn cuz the plug didn't fire.

Only took 18,000 miles to remedy the problem.

On board computers seem to do more harm than good these days, cuz if the Techs don't see any codes, than there isn't a problem.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by zitterich246
Hard to Say. I have roughly 15k on mine, and have never had that happen.
I was begining to think that I had the only EB ever built that didnt shudder,stutter,shake ,vibrate,hesitate,have rusty bumpers,rupe ,crupe or scally nipples. I only have 10k on mine and cant report any problems. It realy makes it hard to start a thread I mean who on this forum wants to talk about no problems. Oh and the MPG is right at or slightly better than the EPA est. Bubbabud 2011 XLT SCAB EEEKOboost
Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bubbabud
I was begining to think that I had the only EB ever built that didnt shudder,stutter,shake ,vibrate,hesitate,have rusty bumpers,rupe ,crupe or scally nipples. I only have 10k on mine and cant report any problems. It realy makes it hard to start a thread I mean who on this forum wants to talk about no problems. Oh and the MPG is right at or slightly better than the EPA est. Bubbabud 2011 XLT SCAB EEEKOboost
I agree with u...I haven't had any problems like some of the threads I've been seeing...knock on wood...my mpg is good too.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Its just a matter of time beofre your F150 destructs on you, and your left out in the desert all alone with no water, russian paratroopers landing all around you.......

But dont worry, Im here to help, just sign over your soon to explode F150 to me and Ill take all the risks for you....Im just that nice a guy.......
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bottom Dollah
On board computers seem to do more harm than good these days, cuz if the Techs don't see any codes, than there isn't a problem.
QFT!

Quick Reply: A Gear Too Far?