General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e-brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-brake Issues

I used my e-brake for the first time in g-d knows how long. The issue is that my truck will not accelerate very well unless I press down heavily on the gas. For example, if I am stopped at a traffic light I can take my foot off the brake and the truck will not move. I have released the e-brake (obviously) as well as switched out the calipers and hammer the e-brake back to make sure that it was actually released. Anyone have any ideas why I am experiencing this problem?
Old 12-19-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Cables likely frozen up inside the casing.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

If you regularly use the parking brake once or twice a week, will this keep the parking brake from freezing up? It there any entry points that you can spray lube into?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffinthebag
If you regularly use the parking brake once or twice a week, will this keep the parking brake from freezing up? It there any entry points that you can spray lube into?
Yes, using them once in a while will help prevent cable freeze, no there is really no way to get any lube in there that would do any good, cables are several feet long and setting the parking brake only moves them maybe 2" at most.

I never used them before on any vehicle I owned as I always had a level surface to park on, when I bought my house I now have a 4° incline for a driveway so I use them every day.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:05 PM

Default E-brake problem

Hey, I had a problem with my 2004. The e-brake would not completely release and I found myself not using it because of the problem. The e-brake cable attaches to a lever that spreads the shoes against the drum. When you do not use the e-brake it forms a rust coating on the steel parts and this contributes to the brake not releasing when you pull the e-brake lever. I cleaned and greased it about a year and I use it regularly and have not had a problem since. Take your rotor-drum off and you can see how it works.
Good luck,
Jim
Old 12-21-2015, 06:16 PM

Thank you all for the feed back! I'll be taking everything apart and oiling them down come this weekend. Hopefully that'll do the trick
Old 12-22-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

As RNL said - the cable is a bajillion feet long and it's not likely you're going to get a penetrating oil all the way through it. You might get lucky and get the "frozen" spot to let go.

It's always a good idea to use the parking brake once in a while to keep it free and I was taught this as a kid.

Which of course, I never do, but I know that I should!

Quick Reply: e-brake Issues