Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer said guy did his own oil changes and had an engine issue, Ford said not covere

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 09:22 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Dealer said guy did his own oil changes and had an engine issue, Ford said not covere

Ok this sounds like bs to me ..
F150 dealer said engine needs replaced , it wasn’t the oil usage issue something internal
Ford said because he had no receipts and they couldn’t be sure he used the correct oil no warranty coverage !
Can they do this ??
Old 02-26-2020, 09:45 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,636 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Yep, warranty coverage can ask for receipts to prove oil changes were done.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:27 PM

Received 424 Likes on 282 Posts

Surely there’s some proof of oil purchases. I’d be calling up every store I possibly went to, attempting to track down receipts if it needs a new motor. If your receipt shows you bought oil, MAYBE that would be sufficient.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:37 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014fiveoh
Surely there’s some proof of oil purchases. I’d be calling up every store I possibly went to, attempting to track down receipts if it needs a new motor. If your receipt shows you bought oil, MAYBE that would be sufficient.
I really can’t see Ford going to that extreme it who knows
Old 02-26-2020, 10:58 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,228 Likes on 860 Posts

It says right in Warranty book from Ford to keep your receipts if you do your own work
From the Manual
It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the scheduled maintenance is performed and that the materials used meet Ford engineering specifications. Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the Owner’s Manual will invalidate warranty coverage on parts affected by the lack of maintenance. Make sure that receipts for completed maintenance work are retained with the vehicle and confirmation of maintenance work is always entered in your Owner’s Manual.
Ford does a really good job of covering their butt when it come to stuff like this.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck Van (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 11:06 PM

Received 5,991 Likes on 3,554 Posts

What is this manual you speak of?
The following 4 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
Chuck Van (02-26-2020), Scott91370 (02-27-2020), Sherlock (02-26-2020), Siber Express (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 12:11 AM
has left the building

Received 3,383 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Van
No, Ford will not go after customer receipts -the owner of the vehicle has that burden.

Owner can go to court over it and but it's a long shot. Without receipts though, there isn't much to do. I don't really quite get it though that a person with zero evidence of maintenance can expect a lot.
I've had my oil changed per warranty specs for years and still terrified of how much fighting would be involved to get something like that covered.

I know of somebody who went to court to an independent transmission shop who denied a claim because owner serviced the trans himself. He had receipts, etc. proving the proper oils were used.
I think he got lucky but who knows how common it is and how often the owner wins. A transmission rebuild 15 years ago isn't comparable to today's motors though.

At this point, the customer would need to start making a case that engine oil was not the root cause of whatever the failure was. If they can prove it wasn't oil related vs. Ford claiming it was oil related then he has a good chance of a fix.

It's a really bad thing for sure but it's the unfortunate truth too.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:43 AM

Received 330 Likes on 237 Posts

Why should Ford, or GM & Fiat-Chrysler for that matter, be on the hook for maintenance that may or may not have been done. I think it's pretty reasonable for any manufacturer to require proof that routine maintenance has been performed in a timely manner.

Otherwise, Ford and the other manufacturers would be on the hook for 5 years/60K miles to replace any engine no matter if the oil was changed every 2 thousand miles by a dealer, or was never changed in 60,000 miles.
Mark Miller (03-02-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 03:46 AM

Received 330 Likes on 237 Posts

F150 dealer said engine needs replaced , it wasn’t the oil usage issue something internal
Ford said because he had no receipts and they couldn’t be sure he used the correct oil no warranty coverage !
Can they do this ??
Why shouldn't Ford deny coverage? You think Ford should be required to replace all engines that blow up before 60k miles, whether or not routine maintenance has been performed or not?
Mark Miller (03-02-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,269 Likes on 2,901 Posts

Can they do this ??
absolutely 100%, that is what its imperative to keep excellent records if you do your own service

I always recommend getting one of those lined notebooks. Staple every receipt to a page, along with writing down mileage and date when service was performed.

like others have said, it's not just ford, its every auto manufacturer

Last edited by djfllmn; 02-27-2020 at 04:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealer said guy did his own oil changes and had an engine issue, Ford said not covere