General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to ship wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to ship wheels and tires

Most cost efficient way. They are monster XDs 22x9.5 shipping from Illinois to Georgia!
Old 05-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Cut a piece of cardboard to protect the face of the wheels. Buy a couple large rolls of shrink wrap from Office Depot or something similar. Wrap the hell out of each tire and wheel. I've shipped many many wheel/tire combos this way.

UPS will charge you an arm and a leg, but if you are shipping to a business or someone can give you a commercial address, you can send it via freight on a pallet. Sometimes that is cheaper.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
Cut a piece of cardboard to protect the face of the wheels. Buy a couple large rolls of shrink wrap from Office Depot or something similar. Wrap the hell out of each tire and wheel. I've shipped many many wheel/tire combos this way. UPS will charge you an arm and a leg, but if you are shipping to a business or someone can give you a commercial address, you can send it via freight on a pallet. Sometimes that is cheaper.
how much does it usually run to do this? How do I go about getting it to UPS FREIGHT
Old 05-26-2015, 01:50 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

There is no "usual" to this. It all depends on size, weight, distance traveled, type of service used, residential/commercial to and from locations, etc etc etc.

I just shipped my stock Platinum wheels of my 2013 truck about a month or two ago from Texas to the east coast in VA or MA, somewhere up there. UPS Ground was 65-70 per wheel. You of course would have a lot more size and weight to yours so plan on $100 per wheel and tire to be safe.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

As far a wrapping/packaging the wheels (rims+tires) ... what TJPlatinumEB noted (padding the face of the rim and wrapping in plastic wrap). Have shipped NUMEROUS rims and wheels over the past 10+ years this way.

I've always used ups® as the shipper, however, NEVER EVER take the packages to a ups® Store. Each one is an individually owned franchise and can/do charge higher rates than the online quotes indicate. Take the packaged/wrapped-up wheels to (say) Office DEPOT.
  • the ship-from point is commercial (rather than residental).
  • the staff there is always helpful.
  • if you're one of their Rewards members you earn points.
  • ups® does a daily, afternoon pick-up at their location.
Package/wrap the wheels separately and label them 1 of 4, 2 of 4, etc., etc..
Old 05-26-2015, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
As far a wrapping/packaging the wheels (rims+tires) ... what TJPlatinumEB noted (padding the face of the rim and wrapping in plastic wrap). Have shipped NUMEROUS rims and wheels over the past 10+ years this way. I've always used ups® as the shipper, however, NEVER EVER take the packages to a ups® Store. Each one is an individually owned franchise and can/do charge higher rates than the online quotes indicate. Take the packaged/wrapped-up wheels to (say) Office DEPOT.[*] the ship-from point is commercial (rather than residental).[*] the staff there is always helpful.[*] if you're one of their Rewards members you earn points.[*] ups® does a daily, afternoon pick-up at their location. Package/wrap the wheels separately and label them 1 of 4, 2 of 4, etc., etc..ups® Calculate Time and Cost ««« -click-
so package wheels then drop them off at Office Depot and they will charge me for the shipment?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Caffeine Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If it were me doing the shipping, I would find an LTL carrier for the job. Not a courier with "Freight" attached to it's name. Feel free to PM me for details - logistics is what I do.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:47 AM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

I paid $200 Freight for a modern 2008 GMC 2500HD V8 engine to be shipped from down south to Chicago on a pallet delivered by Semi to my home. That was almost 500lbs.

It's obviously cheaper if they are willing to pick it up @ the shipping station, or it goes to a business. So look into those options also. Coming down residential streets costs more I guess for freight shipments.

Quick Reply: Best way to ship wheels and tires