General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed temp under cover / propane question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Bed temp under cover / propane question

Does anyone know how hot a truck bed can get under a cover? It doesn't have the greenhouse effect of the cab, but my cover is a black aluminum Diamondback, on a dark truck with a spray in bed liner. Can the bed interior differ much from the ambient temperature? I'll be able to test it in the summer, but I'm preparing now for a long summer road trip.

I know you aren't supposed to store propane in an unventilated compartment, but I have few good options. I'm not sure how much airflow the covered bed gets, but it keeps out water very well. It seems very tight. I'm sure plenty of people carry propane secured under their covers, but I wouldn't if the temp could go over 125 degrees. As long as there is zero danger of the bottle releasing pressure, it seems acceptably safe to me.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:43 PM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Good topic.

Quick research would indicate that 120 degrees is the peak temperature for a propane tank. Sealed cab temperature could likely exceed that in the right conditions. I'd guess that variables like sleeping bags and such might have an effect on the temperature in the box.

I have an indoor/outdoor temp monitor that gives a pretty accurate outdoor temp. The high tomorrow in Central Minnesota is forecast for -12 so it'll be a few months before I can test.
The following users liked this post:
jimbabb (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 09:29 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

I used to keep a 5 gallon tank in the back of my 03 with the Black Undercover tonneau cover on it. It was also pretty Dark.

I don't carry Propane in my 13 but even with the Black Ford Folding cover it was never overly hot inside, just don't touch the cover in the sun and the Camper shell still is not well vented but it was never really hot under it either.

jimbabb (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 09:48 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

LOL. It really depends on where you will be driving,

I can guarantee that if you go to certain areas of the south, and especially the southwest, the bed temp under your black Diamondback will exceed 150°.

I have a silver one, and it will cause skin burns in the summer here in LV.

Up north? No problem.
jimbabb (01-29-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE: I was able to measure the temp inside the bed on a very hot, sunny day. It seems to stay roughly the same as the ambient temperature. It's nothing like the greenhouse inside the cab. The surface gets very hot in the sun, but it seems to radiate the heat away fairly well.

Also, based on the dirt-road dust I sucked in over the tailgate, the bed is more vented than I thought. So, I am no longer concerned about storing secured propane cans.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 09-23-2019, 08:01 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

I had the black linex HD diamondback. Now I use a light soft trifold. Both never get real hot under it, not like the cab. There is are flow, the tailgate isn't sealed.

Quick Reply: Bed temp under cover / propane question