General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Tow Monitoring complaint

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 12:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2021 Tow Monitoring complaint

So after searching this forum, contributing a little-responded-to enquiry post, and calling Ford directly, it is a safe conclusion that my brand new 2021 F150 STX with Tow Package is unable to provide me digital transmission temperature nor "on-the-fly" tire pressures while operating (driving) my truck. My 2018 STX without a tow package and only the Class IV Hitch option could do both of these. I see this as a huge step backwards for someone who bought a truck to actually tow rather than decorate it with neat chrome widgets to display at weekend kid's soccer games. So my questions to the Ford engineers if you're lurking on this forum:

What on Earth were you thinking?
How do you see removing these tools (because they are tools, not "options") as a good idea?
Do you understand the implications of not having them, especially on a truck with a TOW package?
Do you even drive these trucks for their intended purpose?

Sorry to be so direct but I am incredibly disappointed in my "upgrade" (2wd to 4wd, 2.7eco to 5.0, 1600lb payload to 2000lb payload) as well as the level of apathetic support that I have received from the Company.

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited by PhilP; 02-16-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:50 PM

Received 201 Likes on 120 Posts

So you don't have a trans temp gauge? I can see where that would be concerning as trans temp is a big indicator of what's happening during a tow of a big load.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:13 PM

Hi,

It has the analogue needle gauge along with oil temp and pressure gauges along the top. I'm talking about the more accurate digital temperature that I used to be able to access in the menu tools.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:30 PM

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,195 Posts

No need to worry, our expertly engineered systems will conveniently shut your truck down right as it's getting too hot to handle. Simply coast to a stop at a convenient coffee shop while the truck figures it's sh!7 out
Old 02-01-2022, 02:34 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Where is that @Ford Motor Co. guy? He should know.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:02 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

I wouldn't bet money that the digital readout is more accurate than the needle gauge on transmission temps.. And I know the PSI readouts are off by several pounds compared to an accurate tire air gauge in the vehicles I've looked at. Granted those features would be nice but wouldn't be a deal killer for me.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:41 PM

Well the analogue doesn't give me any actual temperature so technically any number from a digital guage is more accurate. But more to the point, the little floaty gauges on the dash aren't historically known to be reliable as an over heating alert. Digital temps on the other hand, might be off by a few degrees but don't have drift and are good for tracking what the tranny is doing under load.

As to the TPMS pressures, I have yet to own a vehicle with more than a pound difference from my gauge. More importantly, it isn't the absolute pressure that's important but observing if a tire pressure is going up due to overheating or losing air due to a slow leak.

This is the stuff that safety minded folks like to know when pulling 6-8 thousand pounds behind them.

Last edited by PhilP; 02-02-2022 at 08:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RossRR (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 01:40 PM

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallr
I wouldn't bet money that the digital readout is more accurate than the needle gauge on transmission temps..
Accuracy isn't the issue... the needle having a very wide flat spot at operating temp, where it barely appears to move at all and gives no indication that you are running hot until it suddenly shoots half the sweep of the needle off into the red right before power is killed to protect the engine is the issue.

Being off by a few degrees is no concern when you can easily tell the difference between 203ºF and 233ºF on a numerical readout.
The following users liked this post:
PhilP (02-02-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 03:38 PM

I'm really disappointed that a Ford engineer could not offer a few comments on this thread. It is a legitimate concern/issue, so either:
1) No Ford engineers follow this forum
2) None of the engineers who might be following this forum have the courage to respond

Neither of these possibilities are very satisfying with respect to Ford's concern or care for their customers.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 02-15-2022, 03:51 PM
Mostly Harmless

Received 220 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilP
"upgrade" (2wd to 4wd
I thought for towing , 2WD was better?

Quick Reply: 2021 Tow Monitoring complaint