General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Lariat brakes and towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Lariat brakes and towing

We recently purchased the 2018 Lariat for the purpose of towing a new, 27' two-axle travel trailer. When we purchased the trailer we were told that we needed to have proportional brake control on the truck, so we had a Prodogy P2 installed. My question: Was this necessary and can this have adverse effects on my truck's OEM brakes? Also, does my Lariat have its own proportional breaking?
Several weeks ago, we discovered the trailer's brakes, safety break-away switch and system were "fried" and the brakes were locked. We now have it in for repairs, but do not understand how all of this happened.
Old 03-06-2023, 02:35 PM

Received 266 Likes on 143 Posts

It would be good to know some of the specs of your trailer. Loaded/Unloaded weight.

The Prodogy P2 is a trailer brake controller, not a truck brake controller. Ford offers them OEM installed in the dash. It shouldn't have adverse effects on the trucks brakes.

Do you understand how the trailer brake controller works? How to set it correctly and how to use it?
Old 03-06-2023, 03:51 PM

The trailer has a Unloaded Vehicle Weight Rating of 5,030 lb. I've read the directions for the Prodigy, but have not had a chance to practice with the system. It looks confusing based on the instructions. It was installed in our truck by the RV dealer. Is it worth having on the vehicle? Thanks, very much for your reply!
Old 03-06-2023, 05:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, it is necessary to have a proportional brake controller installed in your truck when towing a trailer. This is because without it, the trailer's brakes may not activate properly, causing unsafe conditions on the road.

Having a proportional brake controller installed should not have any adverse effects on your truck's OEM brakes as long as it is installed correctly and maintained properly.

Your 2018 Lariat may have its own trailer brake controller integrated into the vehicle's infotainment system. You can check your owner's manual or contact your dealership to find out if your specific model has this feature.

As for the issue with your trailer's brakes and safety break-away switch, it's difficult to determine what caused the problem without more information. It could be due to a number of factors such as a faulty electrical connection, a short circuit, or a malfunctioning component in the trailer's braking system. It's important to have it repaired by a qualified mechanic to ensure the safety of yourself and other drivers on the road.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:55 PM
in the house

Received 1,381 Likes on 794 Posts

Electric RV brakes can be some of THE most 'finicky' of all. I am just discovering this as my wife recently purchased a travel trailer. I have towed many, many trailers over the years but all with either surge brakes or none. A very common topic on the RV forums is about brake failure or brake system problems. It is unfortunate that you have had the issues you describe, please let us know what the repair shop finds out.
Properly set up electric trailer brakes are just seemless, they operate in the background without drama and little to no input by the driver.
Good luck!
Old 03-06-2023, 06:36 PM

Received 3,169 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Prodigy P2 is the best aftermarket trailer brake controller, but Ford's integrated controller is better. It will modulate the trailer brakes to bring sway back under control without driver intervention. When the truck sees that an ITBC is installed, it will also modify the parameters used for stability control to perform better when a trailer is attached.

A trailer brake controller should not cause significant damage to a trailer as all it can do is send 12v to it, and all the components (brakes, lights) are 12v devices. If a brake controller should fail and send a full 12v to the trailer, all that can happen is:

12v to illumination positive wire: trailer lights come on.
12v to brake positive wire: brakes engage at 100% power (you are going to notice that immediately!), trailer brake light comes on.
12v to negative wire: no brakes, no lights.

12v on the negative can damage your backup battery, but will not damage the breakaway as there is no current flowing through it until it is engaged when your trailer breaks away. Breakaways do fail with time, though, the contacts slowly weaken with daily heat cycling, and eventually will not make contact when the spacer is retracted.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:24 PM

Thanks to all - this is VERY helpful information and I will let everyone know what the RV repair shop finds out!
Old 03-07-2023, 01:07 PM

Received 937 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerJess
The trailer has a Unloaded Vehicle Weight Rating of 5,030 lb. I've read the directions for the Prodigy, but have not had a chance to practice with the system. It looks confusing based on the instructions. It was installed in our truck by the RV dealer. Is it worth having on the vehicle? Thanks, very much for your reply!
The Prodigy is not ideal and you should just have the factory trailer brake controller installed and activated by the dealer. Its much simplier, easier, and intergrated into the trucks electronics much better.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:24 AM

Thanks, mass-Hole!
Old 03-09-2023, 12:30 PM

Received 3,259 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by mass-hole
The Prodigy is not ideal and you should just have the factory trailer brake controller installed and activated by the dealer. Its much simplier, easier, and intergrated into the trucks electronics much better.
I agree. I had an aftermarket brake controller, and while it worked, you kept having to mess with the gain between stop and go and highway driving. I installed the oem brake controller myself and had a guy enable it with ForScan.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lariat brakes and towing