Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default wiring question.

Hello : I have a 1982 F-150 4x4 302v8 duel tanks.

It's the tanks wiring i wanted to ask about. THere is so much jury rigging as you might expect from craigs lists? Any way my rear tank has a red and a yellow wwire from the tank. My front tank has aBlack wire and a blue wire from the tank.
My question is about the path way if i were to start over tracing wires because i have and its rigged and just not worth it so sstarting over is my bet from the tanks.

If i start the path way starting at the tanks then next which color goes where?.I want to start from the tanks and go forward and i have a toggle in the dash but the wires from it were disconnected, funny thig is when i put fuel in the front tank it shows on the fuel dash guage? So i guess some has wired the guage to the front tasnk?. I just want to run fresh wire from the tank forward but unsure of the path connections.Any help appreaciated thanks.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

There should be a cab plug right around your booster /master cylinder. Some of these break off to engine compartment others to the rear. Id check that plug to match color to color.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:10 PM

This will not work as the wires have soo many patches of defferent colored wire this approach will not work. I asked ford motor ccompany and they told me its too old for them to know? what?. I am old school and it used to be a ford mechanic rerally had to know about the truck to say maybe tell a person the pathway for the wiring on the fuel tanks?. Guess not it seems ford ASE training is toung and cheek at best kinda cookie cutter mechanics who only know how to clip part A to part B sad man?.

Does any one know where the wires from the tank go after the tanks and sso forth. I want to rewire the tanks all the way through to the end. I have tried google and many other search engine and nothing?, it seems the how to wire a fuel tank is Americas best kept secret.

Does any one know how to wire a fuel taank on a 1982 duel tank F-150 302 V8??. Any help appriciated i'm beating my head on the wall here. I never dreamed that this question would be so difficult sort of a dollar waiting on a dime?. I'm stumped completely. This forum was my last hope. What iis the pathway for rewireing a duel tank 1982 ford F-150 fuel tank. Thank you.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:12 PM

Try these guys. There is a bunch of guys there who know a ton and have access to loads of diagrams, oe part numbers , most anything you could need.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:25 PM

Thanks for trying but i couldn't see any articles about rewiring any thing?. I tried to log in using my site id here but it didn't recognise me so i can't ask questions there?. Any other suggestions to answering Americas best kept secret on how to rewire these duel tanks forward.

I am getting disdsapointed because i thought ford motor company could answer this seemly simple question but then i guess it must be a monumental question?. Does any one know where to ask or where to get diagrams of this or?. I ama really going nuts on this i feel like i am in a bad dream and no one knows the way home??.

I wanted some information on "HOw to wire duel tanks froward on a 1982 f-150.

I have finally asked a question that neither ford motor company or any motor heads here can answer?. Do i win a prize for asking a question about a f-150 no one here can answer lol?. I just can't believe that no one knows the answer of "HOw to rewire duel tanks on a 1982 f-150?"

I will check other forums if there are any to attempt to answer this very large unknown question.If i find any thing i will post it because i am sure some one out of 300 million people must want to know? maybe/ um i hope so lol lol.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 PM

Thats a completely different site. You would have to register there. Trust me someone there will have the diagrams you need.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:56 PM

I got a real time education today after several hours on line looking for how to wire my duel tanks: The education and message i gotmis that this information on how to wire is out there but these days its for a cost and not freelol thats the message.

I actually had a large ford deaslership on 104th st in colorado tell me that i should bring it in and let there ASE certified mechanic rewire it for me and he could figure it out never mind the shop rate is approx $115.00 N HOUR !. He said it would only take about 6 or eight hours at $115.00 per hour such a deal right lol Stupid is waht comes to mind wow! lol lol. I decide the brain damage isn't worth it so i am buying the old fashon brass three way fuel selector valve and ripping the rail mounted selector valve and using the brass three way fuel selector valve. I probbably will use pad and pen to figure how far i can go on the rear tank i can't read on the dash.

I do have one more question for any motor heads out ther and that is : "Does a 1982 f-150 supposed to have a dash mounted rocker type switch ? can't find one any where and does the 1982 f-150 have a fuel pump in the tank in addition to the fuel pump off the crank on the side of the motor or is this truck supposed to have a toggle switch? and if a toggle switch how is it that i can read the front tank on the fuel guage
but the wires on the toggle switch after looking hard are not hooked up to any thing?.

When there is no sign of a rocker mounted fuel selector dash switch and no wires are attached to the toggle switch how am i reading the front tank or is the front tank wired directly to the guage or or or? lol. If any oner has that knowledge i would greatly appreciate any direction on this last question?. Thanks for any help on Americas best kept secret lol.
My opinion of the dealerships just plumeted to lower than whale #@&%. I am going to install this and my only problem after that is to find out how to wire the rear tank if i want more brain damage. What an experience lol.

ONe longs for the day when a dealership customer was appreciated and not just a number.

Last edited by Half ton; 08-19-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 AM

They do have numbers for selector valves at autozone so they are out there
http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...text=Fuel+tank
Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by JayzDaddy
They do have numbers for selector valves at autozone so they are out there
http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...text=Fuel+tank

Thank you for trying to help but alas i read the shematics on the other site but was unable to regiister. The site has issues in registration in that the registration page won't allow or except any pass words and with out any pass words excepted i can' finish registration so no go on joining the other site util they fix there problem that won't allow me to complete registration?.

The scehmatics were clear enough but there is a problem there as well: The shematics show a fuel selector valve that isn't onmy truck at all: My truck has a dash mounted toggle switch and has no factory rocker or toggle switch to be found and ford motor company won' terll me and none of the motor heads i talked to know where its supposed to be either and i tell you i have looked at every square inch of the dash and NO dask factory moiunted fuel selector switch exists?.

I decide to end this brain damage by just buying a three way brass fuel selector valve and installing it behind the driver seat in the cab like back in the day and just calculate the approx miles i can drive on the rear tank because even though i cant find a dash mounted rocker or toggel switch , my fuel gauge works on the fron tank only? go figure but at least this way i can be sure i am sucking the rear tank because i can manualy select the rear tank with a brass three way fuel selecter valve, i won't be able to read the rear tank on the fuel gauge but i can now read the front tank??, i told you before i always get the issues no one knows about i don't get it for instance no one knows where the so called selector dash mounted switch is either?. My way i think in fact i know will work . It would be nice and i always like to do things correctly but in this case with this ford the only way i can really know i am sucking off the rear tank is to install this 3 way brass fuel selecter valve i guess?.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Look around your heater controls. I seem to remember a guy posting about a switch being there but i think he had a 87 7.5.

Quick Reply: wiring question.