Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail lights?

So I just bought an 85 f150 with thethe 300 I6. I just found out the left rear blinker, brake, and both left and right reverse lights don't work but all the night time lights work. I tried everything from replacing all fuses(including the flasher), changing all bulbs.It still doesn't work. I looked at the wiring and it doesn't look bad. I mean it looks old but not bad. So far no frays or anything like that. The only thing I can think of is a big connector under the hood where all lights, signals, etc. All those wires lead to one group and feed into the cab by the steering column. Any ideas anyone?
Old 05-06-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your reverse lights are more than likely related to the switch.

The brake/turn lamp may be a bad socket. I had to replace both of mine in my 78. They went out within 2 weeks of each other.

Take a voltage meter or a test light and see if the terminal in the socket is getting power, if it isn't move to the wire. My guess is the socket is bad.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mailho69
Your reverse lights are more than likely related to the switch.

The brake/turn lamp may be a bad socket. I had to replace both of mine in my 78. They went out within 2 weeks of each other.

Take a voltage meter or a test light and see if the terminal in the socket is getting power, if it isn't move to the wire. My guess is the socket is bad.
I checked the socket it looks fine. I don't have multimeter so I can't really test it but the ruinning lights work so is it possible for just two wires being bad or is it probably something else
Old 05-13-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Brake and turn signal are supplied by the same wire and use the same filament in the bulb.
There are 3 wires in the socket, 1 ground, 1 for the running/tail light and 1 for the brake/turn signal. The bulb is grounded on the side on the metal base and the contacts at the bottom are the positive supply for the 2 bulb filaments.
It is nearly impossible to diagnose the socket by looking at it. Both of mine looked fine but were not.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:17 PM

Alright. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Look for borked trailer wiring.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by klricks
Look for borked trailer wiring.
actually the previous owner did hookup a trailer brake before he sold it to me. Where do you think it would have gone wrong
Old 05-15-2017, 11:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole Wiese
actually the previous owner did hookup a trailer brake before he sold it to me. Where do you think it would have gone wrong
Look for the trailer connector and splices.... probably near the rear license plate.