new gears on back differential? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

new gears on back differential?

Old 11-16-2018, 02:05 PM

Default new gears on back differential?

Hi all

I have a '78 f150 4x4 and the back diff (or the half shafts.. don't know yet til I open it) has died on me... basically the propshaft just spins in drive. anyway, when I go for a rebuild if it is in fact the diff, can gear ratios just be swapped or does anything else need done? is it a case of throwing in a new ring and pinion? from what I can tell, it's a ford 9" differential, and I'm looking at 4.11 or 4.56. thanks in advance
Old 11-16-2018, 02:15 PM
ford dealer parts guy

if you regear the rear you have to do the front, and on a 9'' you can just swap the whole center section, you can buy them pre built
Old 11-16-2018, 02:37 PM

Brilliant, thanks for getting back to me. I'm in Scotland so spares are not too easy to come by so I'll just have to toss up between what will work out better, both money, time and postage costs. I have difflocks as well (not sure if that's standard - a lot of 4x4 sales offer them as extras here)... are the pre built units compatible with them? I've only ever swapped out like-for-like components on axles so re-gearing is a new one to me.
Thanks

just added the pic to confirm it is the ford 9"
Old 11-16-2018, 02:40 PM
ford dealer parts guy

those trucks did not come factory with lockers(i think anyway) limited slips yes those were an option but full on lockers no

I'd be very suprised to see if anything broke in the rear, those axles are damn near bulletproof
Old 11-16-2018, 03:02 PM

my 4x4 selector stick has 4L lock, 4L, N, 4H, and 4H lock so I assumed it was factory. my rear prop spins but gives no drive so either the diff is humped, or one of the shafts has sheared. will probably open it over the weekend to see what's happened
Old 11-16-2018, 03:05 PM
ford dealer parts guy

Originally Posted by TheBigMac View Post
my 4x4 selector stick has 4L lock, 4L, N, 4H, and 4H lock so I assumed it was factory. my rear prop spins but gives no drive so either the diff is humped, or one of the shafts has sheared. will probably open it over the weekend to see what's happened
are you sure its factory 4wd and not converted?
Old 11-16-2018, 03:11 PM

in all honesty, I do not know. it all *looks* factory but being in Scotland, there are none others of these around to compare it to. it's the long wheelbase supercab if that's any use. was a camper as well but I didn't want the camper shell.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:13 PM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new gears on back differential?

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: